These bacon roasted brussels sprouts are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and full of smoky flavor. An easy side dish that will convert even the most staunch brussels sprouts haters!
I’m always looking for easy side dishes that the whole family will enjoy. Some of our favorites include sauteed kale, grilled broccoli and these golden brown brussels sprouts flavored with bacon.
Brussels sprouts can get a bad rap sometimes. People think back to when they were kids and their parents would feed them soggy bland mushy brussels sprouts. When you roast brussels sprouts in a super hot oven, they almost get caramelized and are super delicious. These bacon roasted brussels sprouts are on our dinner table all the time in the winter months, and they couldn’t be any easier to make!
How do you make bacon roasted brussels sprouts?
This recipe has just a handful of ingredients – bacon, brussels sprouts, salt, pepper, olive oil and parsley. Place the sprouts in a single layer on a sheet pan, then drizzle them with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add chopped raw bacon around the brussels sprouts. Bake until the sprouts are tender and caramelized and the bacon is crispy. Sprinkle with parsley, then serve and enjoy.
Tips for the perfect brussels sprouts
- You’ll want to cut your bacon into fairly small pieces; it’s best to use a regular cut of bacon as thick cut bacon will take longer to cook.
- Choose sprouts that are similar in size and shape so that they cook at the same rate.
- I find that this dish is best when served immediately so that the bacon is crispy. That being said, leftovers will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat any leftovers in a pan on the stove top to crisp up the bacon.
- You can serve this recipe as a side dish, or make it a lighter main course by tossing the sprouts and bacon with pasta and a little olive oil and parmesan cheese.
HOW TO PREPARE BRUSSELS SPROUTS
Make sure to wash your brussels sprouts thoroughly before use. You’ll want to cut a thin slice off the stem end of each sprout, then remove any outer leaves that look damaged. Before you cook the sprouts, the last thing you will want to do is cut them in half lengthwise.
Bacon Roasted Brussels Sprouts Flavor Variations
This dish is great as-is, but you can absolutely add other ingredients to customize the flavors to your tastes.
- Cheese: Add a sprinkle of grated cheese, such as parmesan, white cheddar or mozzarella during the last 5 minutes of the baking time.
- Herbs: Swap out the parsley for chives, basil, thyme or green onions.
- Veggies: Feel free to add more vegetables along with the sprouts, some good options are red onion wedges, halved mushrooms, green beans or broccoli.
- Flavorings: Stir in some added flavor to the finished dish with toasted pine nuts, kalamata olives or sun dried tomatoes.
These bacon roasted brussels sprouts are the perfect side dish for a holiday dinner, or for an every day meal. They’re great paired with chicken, steak or pork. I often serve my sprouts alongside a roasted chicken with potatoes. You just can’t go wrong with this one!
More veggie side dishes
- Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Slow Cooker Glazed Carrots
- Green Bean Bundles
- Honey Roasted Carrots
- Pomegranate Pecan Brussels Sprouts
Bacon Roasted Brussels Sprouts Video
Bacon Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- 1 1/2 lbs brussels sprouts trimmed and halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Coat a sheet pan with cooking spray.
- Place the brussels sprouts in a single layer on the sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Scatter the bacon pieces around the pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until bacon is crispy and sprouts are browned. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
- Sliced green onions may be substituted for parsley.
This post was published on February 7, 2018 and was updated on July 8, 2020 with new content.
Can I freeze this great dish???
I think the brussels sprouts would get soggy if frozen!
I drizzle a little balsamic vinegar during the last 5 minutes….yummy!
Brussel sprouts with bacon… what could be better!
I love brussels sprouts but to be honest, I get bored with them. This recipe will help put the spark and love back with this veggie that’s one of my faves.
We like roasted Brussels sprouts and make some good vegetarian dishes using them. This too looks like a nice recipe, but will try with vegetarian variants though.
I have never been a huge fan of brussels sprouts, but I love anything with bacon so I would definitely give this a try. Sounds like the perfect heartwarming side dish for the winter months.
Brussels sprouts is something I haven’t tried making at home yet. I am intimidated by it lol. It looks delicious though!
These look so yummy and healthy!!
I always thought I hated Brussels sprouts, but it turned out I just wasnt making them the right way. Roasted Brussels sprouts like these are delicious.
That’s a nice recipe – brussel sprouts are underrated. Like that you used olive oil instead of butter – sounds like a good mix with the smokiness of the bacon.
It’s not such a difficult recipe to handle, which is awesome because it’s a good side! I’ve always liked the combination of bacon and brussels sprouts.
I’m not a fan of brussel sprouts so don’t make them. Hubby loves them as well as bacon so I know that he’d enjoy trying these.
I have actually made Brussels sprouts really similar and they are so good! I feel like this veggie gets a bad name, but roasted like this even my kids ate them up!
These look gorgeous. Lovely photos. I love how green the sprouts are. It’s such an easy recipe too. Takes no time to cook and very little faffing around, which I love.
I’ve only had Brussels sprouts once, and they were amazing. They also had bacon in them. I need to try them out on the family, they have never had any but I think they would like them. I will pin this for later use.
Yum, well, you had me at bacon. I normally do not like brussels sprouts, but I would try them this way. Bacon generally makes everything better.
The wonderful thing about roasting veggies is how fast and easy it can be. We have added so many different things to our brussels sprouts over the years. Bacon is always a favorite.
We adore this recipe. I try to get a little char on mine. Totally love that flavor! Yummy now I want some!
Roasted vegetables are so good. I love the caramelization on the brussels sprouts when they are roasted. The addition of bacon sure does add great flavor. Looks delicious!
Brussels sprouts are my favorite veggie. This is the best recipe I’ve come across because of the bacon. Can’t wait to make it.