These bacon roasted brussels sprouts are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and full of smoky flavor. An easy side dish that will convert even the most staunch brussels sprouts haters!
Brussels sprouts can get a bad rap sometimes. People think back to when they were kids and their parents would feed them soggy bland mushy brussels sprouts. When you roast brussels sprouts in a super hot oven, they almost get caramelized and are super delicious. These bacon roasted brussels sprouts are on our dinner table all the time in the winter months, and they couldn’t be any easier to make!
How do you make bacon roasted brussels sprouts?
This recipe has just a handful of ingredients – bacon, brussels sprouts, salt, pepper, olive oil and parsley. Place the sprouts in a single layer on a sheet pan, then drizzle them with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add chopped raw bacon around the brussels sprouts. Bake until the sprouts are tender and caramelized and the bacon is crispy. Sprinkle with parsley, then serve and enjoy.
Tips for the perfect brussels sprouts
- You’ll want to cut your bacon into fairly small pieces; it’s best to use a regular cut of bacon as thick cut bacon will take longer to cook.
- Choose sprouts that are similar in size and shape so that they cook at the same rate.
- I find that this dish is best when served immediately so that the bacon is crispy. That being said, leftovers will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat any leftovers in a pan on the stove top to crisp up the bacon.
- You can serve this recipe as a side dish, or make it a lighter main course by tossing the sprouts and bacon with pasta and a little olive oil and parmesan cheese.
HOW TO PREPARE BRUSSELS SPROUTS
Make sure to wash your brussels sprouts thoroughly before use. You’ll want to cut a thin slice off the stem end of each sprout, then remove any outer leaves that look damaged. Before you cook the sprouts, the last thing you will want to do is cut them in half lengthwise.
Bacon Roasted Brussels Sprouts Flavor Variations
This dish is great as-is, but you can absolutely add other ingredients to customize the flavors to your tastes.
- Cheese: Add a sprinkle of grated cheese, such as parmesan, white cheddar or mozzarella during the last 5 minutes of the baking time.
- Herbs: Swap out the parsley for chives, basil, thyme or green onions.
- Veggies: Feel free to add more vegetables along with the sprouts, some good options are red onion wedges, halved mushrooms, green beans or broccoli.
- Flavorings: Stir in some added flavor to the finished dish with toasted pine nuts, kalamata olives or sun dried tomatoes.
These bacon roasted brussels sprouts are the perfect side dish for a holiday dinner, or for an every day meal. They’re great paired with chicken, steak or pork. I often serve my sprouts alongside a roasted chicken with potatoes. You just can’t go wrong with this one!
More veggie side dishes
- Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Slow Cooker Glazed Carrots
- Green Bean Bundles
- Honey Roasted Carrots
- Pomegranate Pecan Brussels Sprouts
Bacon Roasted Brussels Sprouts Video
Bacon Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- 1 1/2 lbs brussels sprouts trimmed and halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Coat a sheet pan with cooking spray.
- Place the brussels sprouts in a single layer on the sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Scatter the bacon pieces around the pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until bacon is crispy and sprouts are browned. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
- Sliced green onions may be substituted for parsley.
This post was published on February 7, 2018 and was updated on July 8, 2020 with new content.