This watermelon agua fresca is made with fresh watermelon, sugar and lime juice, all blended together into a bright and flavorful drink.
Agua fresca is cool and refreshing drink with plenty of fruit flavor. Some other cool drinks that have great fruit flavors are strawberry lemonade and pineapple punch.
Summer is in full swing and the weather here in California has been just beautiful. We’ve had a few insanely hot days, but for the most part it’s been moderate temperatures, cool breezes and plenty of blue sunny skies. I’ve been doing a lot of outdoor entertaining to fully take advantage of the season, and one of my favorite things to do is invite family and friends over for appetizers and drinks, including this watermelon agua fresca.
How Do You Make Watermelon Agua Fresca?
This drink is a simple combination of fresh watermelon, sugar, lime juice and water that gets blended together for a sweet and refreshing complement to the bold flavors of the dip. The first step in making the agua fresca is to blend together watermelon, lime juice and sugar. The watermelon mixture gets strained and mixed with water and you’ve got agua fresca! I like to make my watermelon agua fresca extra party-worthy by serving it up with fun garnishes, like sugar crusted glass rims, fresh mint sprigs and lime slices. You can even garnish with small wedges of watermelon if you like.
Tips for Agua Fresca
- You can make this drink with other varieties of fresh fruit, including strawberries, mango and pineapple.
- Look for a super ripe watermelon for the best flavor. If your watermelon isn’t as sweet as you’d like, you can add more sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you reach the desired sweetness level.
- If you prefer a tart drink, you can double the amount of lime juice.
Summer entertaining doesn’t have to be complicated or time consuming. Your guests will be thrilled with this hearty and refreshing combination of savory dip and sweet cool drinks, and you’ll be happy to spend time with your family and friends instead of spending hours in the kitchen!
Other Recipes You’ll Love
Watermelon Agua Fresca
- 4 cups cubed watermelon
- the juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups water divided use
- Optional garnishes: coarse sugar, mint sprigs, lime slices, watermelon wedges
- Place the watermelon, lime juice, sugar and 1 cup of the water in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Strain the watermelon mixture into a pitcher and discard solids. Add the remaining water to the pitcher and stir to combine. Chill until ready to serve.
- For garnishes: if desired, dip the rims of the glasses into a bowl of water then place the glasses, rim side down, onto a plate of coarse sugar and rotate until rims are coated with sugar. Pour agua fresca into the sugar rimmed glasses and top with mint sprigs, lime slices and/or watermelon wedges.
This post is sponsored by Rojo’s. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Dinner at the Zoo possible!
EXCELLENT Drink SUPER Refreshing will make again
Perfect drink! We really enjoyed this!
Delicious and refreshing! Thanks for the recipe!
This was so crisp and refreshing! Exactly what I was looking for. I will have to make this at our Halloween party this year!
There is nothing better than watermelon in summer, and incidentally, my local grocery is having a big sale on watermelon!
So glad the weather is warming up so I can try this recipe! YUM!!
Yum! Such a great recipe that I will make again and again!
What a delicious and refreshing summer drink- my kids will love it!
Thanks for the other suggestions for different fruits as well. This will be on repeat in my house over summer and it is nice to have options. Cheers
It’s Friday …. going to enjoy this dip and relax this weekend!
Can’t wait to try this yummy dip and cool drink!
oLove this layered dip and the drink looks so good!
Looks like summer to me! Clink!