This sauteed kale recipe is fresh greens cooked with butter, garlic and onions until tender, then topped with fresh herbs. A simple and healthy side dish that pairs perfectly with chicken, fish and beef.
I love to serve a green veggie with my meals, some of my favorite options include roasted broccoli, grilled zucchini and this super easy sauteed kale.
Kale is a versatile and healthy vegetable that can be added to so many different dishes. My favorite way to enjoy this leafy green is in sauteed kale with plenty of garlic and herbs. It takes just 10 minutes to make and always gets rave reviews!
How to prepare kale
The first step is to wash your kale. I recommend soaking your kale leaves in a bowl of water, then either pat them dry, or dry the kale in a salad spinner. Each leaf of kale has a hard stem that runs down the middle. You’ll want to slice the leafy part of the kale away from the stems, then discard the stems. Cut or tear the kale leaves into bite sized pieces. You can also skip this process and buy a bag of prepared kale to save on prep time.
How do you make sauteed kale?
Place olive oil in a pan, then add onion to the pan. Cook the onion until it’s softened. Add seasonings to the onions, then place the kale in the pan, along with a little chicken or vegetable broth. Cook the kale, stirring occasionally, until the kale has wilted and the liquid has evaporated. Add some garlic to the pan, then garnish with fresh herbs and serve.
Tips for the perfect side dish
- This dish works with both traditional curly kale and dinosaur kale, which is a flat leaf variety.
- Sauteed kale will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 4 days, which makes it great for meal prep.
- You can use any type of fresh herbs in this dish. I typically use chopped parsley because I always have it on hand, but other great options include green onions, basil or dill.
- Add the garlic towards the very end of the cooking time so that it doesn’t burn.
Is sauteed kale healthy?
This kale recipe is a great addition to a healthy diet. Kale is low calorie, low in carbohydrates and high in fiber. This leafy green contains antioxidants, calcium and Vitamins B, C and K. Kale also contains iron, potassium, phosphorous, folate and iron.
Sauteed kale flavor variations
This is a basic recipe for kale, but you can add any number of ingredients to this dish to customize it to your tastes.
- Flavorings: Amp up the flavor with some bacon, olives, smoked paprika, shallots or try swapping butter for olive oil.
- Vegetables: Add more veggies to the mix by making a blend of kale with mushrooms, green beans, artichokes or fennel.
- Greens: This dish also works well with other types of greens such as spinach, turnip greens and escarole.
- Cheese: Add a sprinkling of cheese such as feta cheese or freshly grated parmesan.
You can’t go wrong with a quick and easy side dish, and this sauteed kale is sure to please any crowd!
More vegetable recipes you’ll enjoy
- Roasted Root Vegetables
- Sauteed Brussels Sprouts
- Candied Sweet Potatoes
- Bacon Fried Corn
- Roasted Green Beans
Sauteed Kale Video
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 cups kale leaves stems removed, cut or torn into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup chicken broth can also use vegetable broth or water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs such as parsley or dill
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes or until just softened.
- Add the salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes to the pan. Stir to combine.
- Place the kale in the pan, and pour in the chicken broth.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until kale is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Sprinkle the fresh herbs over the top, then serve.
I made this last night and was very very impressed. I love kale. I also sliced red pepper and sauteed that along with the greens.
I bought the pre washed and cut kale to make this. Easy that way and it was very tasty!
I love the fresh herbs that are combined into this side dish. I am thinking that this will be pair alongside some tilapia for dinner tonight.
Such a fantastic way to make kale!! Sounds SO delicious!
I LOVE how healthy and delicious this is!! I can’t wait to try this!
I can’t wait to make this again! I am loving how flavorful and healthy this simple side dish is to make.
I love kale but I’ve never tried it this ways. Sounds so tasty!
Thanks for the suggestion about buying the precut kale in the bags. I guess I’ve never noticed that in my produce area. Definitely looking for next time. Can’t wait to make this!
Yum! This is so delicious and healthy! I love all the flavor in this! I’m saving this recipe. Thanks!
Sara I’m so impressed with your recipes and photography! Would you mind telling me what camera and lens you are using?
Canon mark III camera with 100mm macro L series lens!
thanks sara. they really are beautiful and crystal clear!