This recipe for sweet potato casserole with marshmallows is mashed spiced sweet potatoes, topped with both a pecan streusel topping and plenty of mini marshmallows. A holiday classic that’s a family favorite!
Sweet potato casserole with marshmallows and pecans, how can you go wrong with that combination? This easy sweet potato casserole is THE BEST, it’s sure to become a tradition on your Thanksgiving table.
I can’t believe that October is almost over, it feels like we were just saying goodbye to summer! I’m already thinking about Thanksgiving, it’s one of my favorite holidays. Let me tell you: this sweet potato casserole with marshmallows? Is the best sweet potato casserole I’ve ever had. It’s a MUST for the holidays, to be honest, my kids ask for it year round.
This easy sweet potato casserole has the best of both worlds with a crunchy pecan streusel topping AND a generous amount of mini marshmallows. The mashed sweet potato mixture underneath all that topping is just lightly sweetened to create the perfect balance between savory and sweet.
How to make sweet potato casserole
This recipe starts with the sweet potatoes. I prefer to roast the sweet potatoes, scoop the cooked flesh from the skins, and mash with a hand masher for a more rustic texture, but you can definitely puree the sweet potatoes in a food processor if you prefer them to be on the smooth side.
The sweet potatoes are mixed with brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon and butter. Aren’t you hungry just thinking about it? The casserole is topped with an easy pecan streusel and then goes into the oven. The marshmallows don’t go on until the very end, otherwise they could burn. All you do from there is serve and enjoy!
Make Ahead Instructions
More thanksgiving side dishes
- Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole
- Green Bean Bundles
- Cranberry Jello Salad
- Pomegranate Pecan Brussels Sprouts
- Winter Fruit Salad
Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows
- For the casserole:
- 2 pounds of sweet potatoes cleaned
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- cooking spray
- For the topping:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil and coat with cooking spray. Prick the potatoes with a fork and place them on the pan.
- Bake the potatoes until tender, 45 minutes to an hour.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them open, scoop out the insides and place the potatoes in a large bowl.
- Add the 4 tablespoons of butter, milk, brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, egg and vanilla to the bowl.
- Use a potato masher or hand mixer to mash or beat the potatoes until mostly smooth.
- Grease a 9 inch square pan or 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread the sweet potato mixture evenly in the pan.
- In another bowl, mix together the brown sugar, flour, melted butter and pecans until crumbly. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until topping has lightly browned.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle the marshmallows over the top then return to the oven.
- Bake for an additional 3-5 or until marshmallows are just melted.
- Serve immediately.