Permission to share content: If you wish to use my content on your blog or website, please choose one image from that post and link back to my original URL with proper credit. Thank you!
I’m Sara – a wife and mother to three girls. I’m also a food lover and a photographer. Before I had children I was the ultimate “foodie” – I cooked elaborate multi-course meals for friends and family with exotic ingredients and dined at the finest restaurants. I made absolutely everything from scratch. I regularly commuted into the city on the weekends for classes at the culinary academy. I owned 70+ cookbooks. I was in love with the art of cooking.
Then I had three children in two years and everything changed. I still loved to cook, but I just didn’t have the same time to scour the markets for specialty ingredients or drive an hour to Napa for lunch. Instead I channeled my love of food to preparing healthy and delicious meals for my daughters. You’d think that with my background, my girls would have sufficient exposure to a variety of foods to avoid picky-eater syndrome. That ended up not being the case at all, 2 of my 3 girls are quite picky. It is a huge challenge to come up with meals that all three will actually eat. I know I’m not the only mom out there looking for healthy recipes that are also kid friendly, which is why I decided to share my recipe repertoire with you.
- I have 22 years of experience in recipe development, which has resulted in the production of over 1,500 unique recipes.
- I have studied at the California Culinary Academy in San Francisco in the areas of knife skills, pastry, international cooking and candy making.
- My recipes have been featured on major websites including BuzzFeed, The Kitchn, MSN, Country Living, Women’s Health Magazine, POPSUGAR, Glamour, Tasty, Oprah Daily, The Guardian, The Pioneer Woman, Parade, Good Housekeeping, The Today Show, Delish and Food Network.
- I have created recipes for large brands including Sonoma Gourmet, SeaPak, Foster Farms, Johnsonville, ConAgra, Gorton’s Seafood, Rojo’s, Blue Bunny, Safeway, Blue Diamond Almonds, Tyson, Cheerios, Dole and McCormick.
- My work is featured in the Beautiful Smoothie Bowls cookbook.
- I have served as a cookbook reviewer for Contra Costa Times newspaper.
What You’ll Find on the Dinner at the Zoo Website
- Dinner Recipes: I have hundreds of easy dinner ideas on the site, from classic stovetop mac and cheese to Moroccan chicken and everything in between!
- Easy Appetizers: Browse the selection of cheesy dips, finger foods and make ahead snacks.
- Slow Cooker Meals: Dinner time is always easier with a slow cooker! I have plenty of options from crock pot chicken noodle soup to slow cooker Korean beef.
- Simple Desserts: Finish your meal with a sweet treat like earthquake cake or brownie cookies.
- Holiday Recipes: A full selection of recipes to make any holiday more delicious, with tons of options for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day, Easter and many more!
- 1,300 recipes that I have personally tested. Check out all the recipes and choose one for dinner tonight.
More About Sara & the Blog
For a quick, easy and healthy meal, I recommend trying my honey garlic chicken stir fry. This recipe is so popular that it has been shared more than 1 million times on Pinterest!
I use a Canon Mark III digital camera along with a Canon 100mm f/2.8L macro lens for the majority of the photos on the site. All photos are taken in natural light conditions.
I do not have a cookbook available for purchase at this time.
You can create an account to save your favorite recipes on the site all in one place. Simply click the heart icon on the side of any recipe post to get started.