This roasted cabbage recipe is wedges of cabbage seasoned with olive oil and spices, then oven baked until tender and browned. A simple and inexpensive side dish that pairs perfectly with chicken, beef and seafood.
I always have a head of cabbage in my refrigerator. It’s inexpensive, healthy and lasts a long time. My favorite way to enjoy this veggie is with this easy roasted cabbage recipe. This recipe takes just minutes to put together, and always gets rave reviews.
How do you make roasted cabbage?
Cut your cabbage into slices or wedges, then place them on a sheet pan. Drizzle olive oil over the cabbage, then season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Roast the cabbage at high heat until browned and tender. After the cabbage is cooked, add a sprinkle of fresh parsley and a little lemon juice. Serve and enjoy!
How to slice a cabbage
First trim a thin slice off the bottom of the cabbage head. From there, you can slice your cabbage one of two ways. You can either cut the cabbage in half lengthwise, then cut it into 8 wedges, or cut it width wise into slices. Either way will work just fine for this recipe. I prefer to use wedges because each piece contains part of the core which helps to keep the cabbage intact in the oven.
Tips for the perfect side dish
- I find that this recipe tastes best hot from the oven so that the cabbage has crispy edges. You can refrigerate any leftovers for up to 3 days. Reheat leftovers in the microwave, or in a covered dish in the oven.
- If you like your cabbage to be extra crispy, you can broil it for 3-4 minutes at the end of the bake time.
- Line the sheet pan with foil coated in cooking spray for easy clean up.
- Garnish the finished dish with lemon wedges and parsley sprigs for an elegant presentation.
- This recipe works with any variety of cabbage including purple cabbage or savory cabbage.
- Make sure all of your cabbage wedges are similar in size so that they cook at the same rate.
- This roasted cabbage is great when served alongside roasted chicken, grilled steak or broiled salmon.
Roasted Cabbage Flavor Variations
While this recipe is delicious as-is, you can add other flavors to customize it to your tastes.
- Bacon: Add 1/2 cup of cooked crumbled bacon right before serving.
- Spicy: Sprinkle crushed chili flakes over the top of the cabbage before it goes into the oven.
- Seasonings: Amp up the seasonings by adding smoked paprika, onion powder, Italian seasoning or even ranch powder.
- Cheese: Add 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese during the last 10 minutes of the baking time.
- Vegetables: Feel free to add other veggies to the pan such as wedges of red onion, mushrooms, butternut squash or sliced carrots.
- Herbs: Swap out the parsley for dill, basil or chives.
This dish transforms ordinary cabbage to something spectacular. You simply can’t go wrong with roasted cabbage!
More side dishes to savor
- Honey Roasted Carrots
- Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Baked Potato Wedges
- Roasted Root Vegetables
- Sauteed Brussels Sprouts
Roasted Cabbage Video
- 1 head cabbage cut into 8 equal wedges or slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a sheet pan with cooking spray.
- Place the cabbage pieces in a single layer on the pan. Drizzle the olive oil over the top.
- Season the cabbage with the salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cabbage is browned and tender.
- Drizzle the lemon juice over the top. Sprinkle with parsley, then serve.