This grilled flank steak is coated in a flavorful marinade, then cooked on a grill until perfectly tender and juicy. An easy way to prepare flank steak that produces perfect results every time!
When the weather is nice, I fire up the grill and make some of my family’s favorite recipes including grilled corn, grilled salmon and this delicious marinated flank steak. It always gets rave reviews from family and friends.
There’s nothing better than a steak that’s cooked on the grill – the smoky flavor just can’t be beat! This grilled flank steak is flavored with a simple marinade, and takes just minutes to put together. It’s a great way to feed a crowd.
How do you make grilled flank steak?
This recipe starts with a marinade which is a blend of soy sauce, olive oil, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, Italian seasoning and spices. Mix everything together in either a bowl or a gallon sized freezer bag. Add your flank steak, then give it at least one hour to soak up all that great flavor. Remove the steak from the marinade, then grill it to your desired level of doneness. Let the steak rest for 5 minutes, then slice and serve.
Tips for the perfect steak
- This marinade can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days, so it’s great to make in advance. The olive oil may solidify when chilled, so leave the marinade at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before you add the steak. You can even freeze your marinade for up to 2 months if need be!
- Feel free to use a low sodium soy sauce if you’re watching your salt intake.
- Italian seasoning is a blend of dried herbs that can be found in the spice aisle of most grocery stores. This seasoning is typically a blend of dried basil, parsley, garlic and oregano. If you can’t find Italian seasoning, you can blend together your own dried herbs in equal amounts.
- This marinade also works on other types of steak such as sirloin, New York strip or rib eye.
- Be sure to slice your meat against the grain for the most tender bites of steak.
- No outdoor grill? You can make this recipe indoors on a grill pan, or broil the steak in the oven.
How long do you cook flank steak on the grill?
Flank steak is a quick cooking cut of meat since it’s on the thinner side. Most flank steaks will take about 5-7 minutes per side to cook to a medium temperature. If you prefer that your steak be closer to well done, you can leave it on the heat for longer.
The best way to gauge when your flank steak is ready is to use a digital thermometer. You can insert a probe thermometer into the thickest part of your meat to determine whether the steak is at your desired level of doneness. I personally like to cook my flank steak to medium, I don’t recommend cooking your meat over 150 degrees F as it will be more likely to be tough or dry.
Keep in mind that flank steak should rest for at least 5 minutes before you cut into it, so it’s best to take it off the heat a few degrees before you reach your desired temperature, as it’ll continue to cook as it rests.
- Rare: 130 degrees F
- Medium Rare: 135 degrees F
- Temp Medium: 145 degrees F
- Medium Well: 150 degrees F
- Well Done: 160 degrees F
Grilled flank steak flavor variations
This recipe is delicious as-is, but you can add other ingredients to the marinade to customize it to your tastes.
- Asian: Omit the Italian seasoning. Swap out lime juice for lemon juice and add 2 teaspoons fresh minced ginger, 1 teaspoon sesame oil and 1/4 cup chopped green onions or cilantro.
- Spicy: Add hot sauce or sriracha to taste, or add a few pinches of crushed red chili flakes.
- Italian: Add 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, along with 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley.
Once you try this steak, you’ll find yourself making it all summer long! It’s just that good, and can be paired with so many different side dishes for a complete meal.
More grilling recipes to try
- Garlic Butter Grilled Mushrooms
- Grilled Chicken Wings
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Thighs
- Marinated Grilled Pork Chops
- Grilled Zucchini
Grilled Flank Steak Video
Grilled Flank Steak
- 1/3 cup soy sauce low sodium is ok
- 1/4 cup lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 pounds flank steak
- Place the soy sauce, lemon juice, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, Italian seasoning, pepper, salt and onion powder in a bowl or resealable gallon sized bag . Mix to combine.
- Add the flank steak to the marinade. Marinate for at least 1 hour, or up to 24 hours.
- Heat a grill to medium high heat. Add the steak and cook for 5-7 minutes per side or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 145 degrees F for medium. Let the steak rest for 5 minutes, then slice against the grain and serve.