This cucumber tomato salad is full of fresh sliced cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, red onion and green peppers, all tossed in an herb dressing. The perfect light and refreshing side dish for any summer meal!
Cucumber salad is a mainstay of summer parties. It’s inexpensive, easy to make and so refreshing on a hot day. My version is a mixture of cucumber, tomato, red onion and green bell pepper for an amazing combination of flavors and textures.
I am in love with summer salads like this cucumber tomato salad. Not only are they easy to make, but they’re just so fresh, and you can eat a lot of salad without feeling weighed down! I especially love when there’s a summer get together and I get to make more than one delicious chilled salad like this one.
HOW DO YOU MAKE CUCUMBER TOMATO SALAD?
Start by slicing your fresh cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers and red onions and place them in a bowl. In a separate bowl, add the ingredients for your tasty herb dressing and mix well. Pour the dressing over the top of your fresh vegetables, toss to mix, and you have a perfectly light salad that goes with any summer meal!
Tips for the perfect salad
- Any type of cucumber is fine for this tomato salad as long as you remove the seeds before slicing. I’ve made this salad with standard waxed cucumbers, English cucumbers and little Persian cucumbers and it comes out great every time. If you’re using the waxy type of cucumber, you may want to peel them first.
- Red, yellow, or orange bell peppers work just as well as green bell peppers and add a great burst of color. I like to use cherry tomatoes, but diced ripe tomatoes are also a good choice.
- This salad stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Store it in an airtight container until you’re ready to eat.
Cucumber Tomato Salad Flavor Variations
This salad is great as-is, but you can absolutely add other ingredients to customize it to your tastes.
- Greek: Add 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese and 1/4 cup sliced kalamata olives.
- Mexican: Stir in a diced avocado, 3/4 cup corn kernels and 1 cup black beans. Swap out the parsley for cilantro.
- Italian: Add 1/2 cup small mozzarella balls along with 1/4 cup diced marinated artichoke hearts. You can also add diced salami and white beans.
- Pasta: Turn this into a pasta salad by adding 3 cups of cooked pasta, be sure to double the dressing amount if you’re going this route.
WHAT ARE THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF CUCUMBERS?
Cucumbers are full of vitamins and nutrients, and are low calorie, low sodium and low in carbohydrates. This veggie contains Vitamin C, Vitamin K, magnesium, potassium and manganese. Cucumbers are primarily made out of water, which means that consuming cucumbers will help you stay hydrated.
I make this salad all summer long. It uses simple ingredients that I always have on hand, and pairs perfectly with salmon, roasted chicken and steak for a healthy and hearty meal.
MORE SALAD RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Black Bean and Corn Salad
- Chickpea Salad with Avocado
- Cucumber Feta Salad
- Asian Cucumber Salad
Cucumber Tomato Salad Video
Cucumber Tomato Salad
- 3 cups sliced cucumbers seeds removed
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper cored, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped herbs such as parsley, dill, chives or green onion
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Place the cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, red onion, bell pepper and herbs in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper and oregano.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables. Toss gently to coat. Serve.
This post was originally published on June 21, 2018 and was updated on May 20, 2020 with new content.