This Mexican white queso dip is a creamy and zesty cheese dip that contains just 3 ingredients and is ready in 5 minutes. Queso blanco is the perfect addition to any party menu!
When I go to my local Mexican restaurant, I always have to order the white queso dip. It’s smooth, creamy, a little bit spicy and totally addicting to scoop up with a big pile of tortilla chips! I decided I needed to learn how to make white queso dip at home, and was astounded by just how easy it actually is to make – all you need is a couple of ingredients and you can have your own skillet of cheese dip on the table in minutes!
How to make white queso dip
To make Mexican queso dip, you’ll need just 3 ingredients: white American cheese, green salsa and half and half. That’s it!!! You’ll want to purchase a block of white American cheese at your grocery store deli counter – just ask for a pound of the cheese, not sliced. The cheese gets cut into chunks and is melted with the salsa and half and half to make this fantastic party snack.
Tips for queso dip
- I like to serve my white queso dip with tortilla chips, but other great dipping options are sliced veggies or flour tortillas cut into triangles.
- Queso dip also makes for a great cheese sauce for nachos, burritos and tacos.
- I typically use a mild green salsa in this recipe so that it’s not too spicy for the kids, but if you prefer heat, go for a hot salsa! Alternatively, you can add minced pickled jalapeno slices to turn the heat up.
- While this Mexican cheese dip is great on its own, I find that adding a topping of fresh pico de gallo really takes it over the top. You can either purchase pico de gallo or use my recipe to make it yourself.
I find that white queso dip is best served piping hot from the skillet, but you can reheat it if needed. Simply microwave in 30 second increments until the dip becomes liquid and you’re ready to go. If you’re planning to add pico de gallo, add it after reheating the dip. If you add the pico de gallo before reheating, the dip may become watery.
Queso Dip variations
This queso dip is fabulous as-is, but you can add other ingredients to make it your own.
- Meaty Queso Dip: Add 1/2 pound cooked and crumbled ground beef or chorizo.
- Bean and Cheese Dip: Add 1 cup rinsed and drained beans, such as black beans or pinto beans.
- Bacon Queso Dip: Add 1/2 cup cooked and crumbled bacon on top of the dip.
This queso dip is perfect for parties, Cinco de Mayo, game day, or any time where you’re looking for a quick and satisfying snack!
More Mexican food recipes
Queso Dip Video
White Queso Dip
- 1 pound white American cheese cubed
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- Place the American cheese, salsa verde and half and half in a pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth.
- Serve immediately, topped with pico de gallo if desired.
This post is sponsored by CHI-CHI’S® Brand. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Dinner at the Zoo possible! This post was originally published on April 24, 2017 and was updated with new content on January 31, 2019.