These slow cooker chicken tacos are the perfect way to do taco night without a lot of work! The taco chicken only contains 4 ingredients!
Taco night is always a big hit at our house! I mix it up with crispy tacos, soft tacos, seafood tacos, you name it I’ve probably made it. These slow cooker chicken tacos are one of our very favorite taco recipes, and they couldn’t be any simpler to make. The shredded chicken taco filling has just 4 ingredients and in 5 minutes you can have it into the slow cooker simmering away.
How to make slow cooker chicken tacos
The 4 ingredients that go into the taco filling are chicken breasts, salsa and taco seasoning. If you’re using a taco seasoning that doesn’t contain salt, you’ll want to add a little salt too. The chicken gets slow cooked, then shredded and tossed with some chopped cilantro. I like to use a salsa that’s not super chunky, only because my picky eaters don’t like to see the chunks of onion and pepper that are sometimes in a thicker salsa. After the chicken is done cooking, you simply shred it, stuff it into taco shells and serve!
I typically do crispy taco shells, but corn or flour tortillas would also work well. I like to put out a variety of taco toppings like lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, olives and avocado; my kids love to make their own creations!
You can even make a double batch of the taco filling and freeze some for another night if you’re trying to get ahead on meal prep. These slow cooker chicken tacos are sure to become a favorite in your household!
More mexican favorites:
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- 1 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 16 ounce jar salsa
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 8 crispy taco shells
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Place the chicken breasts in a slow cooker and sprinkle with the taco seasoning. Pour the jar of salsa over the top.
- Cook at HIGH heat for 3-4 hours or LOW heat for 6-8 hours. Shred the chicken with two forks and stir in the cilantro.
- Divide the lettuce between the taco shells and place the chicken on top. Add the cheese and tomatoes and serve.