These slow cooker chicken tacos are filled with zesty pulled chicken, guacamole, pico de gallo and sour cream. The chicken only requires 4 ingredients and can be in the crock pot with just 5 minutes of prep time.
My family always enjoys taco night, whether it’s shrimp tacos, pork tacos, or these super easy crock pot chicken tacos. The chicken filling can be used in a variety of Mexican dishes including burritos, nachos, enchiladas and more!
Taco night is always a big hit at our house! I mix it up with crispy tacos, soft tacos, seafood tacos, you name it I’ve probably made it. These slow cooker chicken tacos are one of our very favorite taco recipes, and they couldn’t be any simpler to make.
How do you make slow cooker chicken tacos?
This recipe starts with boneless chicken breasts, which are sprinkled with taco seasoning, then covered in salsa. The chicken goes into the crock pot to cook until tender. The final step is to shred your chicken and stir in a little chopped cilantro. From there, you can pile your chicken into warm tortillas and add your favorite taco toppings.
Tips for crock pot chicken tacos
- If you’re using a taco seasoning that doesn’t contain salt, you’ll want to add a little salt to your chicken.
- I like to use a salsa that’s not super chunky, only because my picky eaters don’t like to see the chunks of onion and pepper that are sometimes in a thicker salsa.
- While I typically use boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe, thighs will also work just fine.
- Corn or flour tortillas both taste great with the chicken filling, it’s just a matter of personal preference. I like to toast my tortillas over a flame on my gas stove top to get charred edges.
Slow cooker chicken taco variations
While this recipe is delicious as-is, sometimes I add other ingredients to the mix to change things up a bit.
- No chicken on hand? Use cooked ground beef, beef stew meat or a pork roast instead.
- Try salsa verde instead of the traditional red salsa for a different flavor.
- Like spicy food? Add 1-2 minced canned chipotle peppers to the mix.
- You can add veggies into the crock pot along with the chicken such as onions or diced bell peppers.
What can you add to tacos?
While I typically add guacamole, sour cream and pico de gallo to my tacos, there are so many different toppings you can add to amp up the flavor.
- Shredded cheese
- Sliced olives
- Pickled jalapenos
- Roasted corn
- Red onion
- Shredded cabbage
What I love best about this recipe is that it’s just so easy to make! If you have chicken, taco seasoning and a jar of salsa, you can whip up the most tender and flavorful taco filling in no time at all. These crock pot chicken tacos are on my regular dinner menu rotation, and they’re always a hit.
More mexican favorites
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- 1 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 16 ounce jar salsa
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 cup pico de gallo homemade or store bought
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Place the chicken breasts in a slow cooker and sprinkle the taco seasoning over the chicken. Pour the jar of salsa on top.
- Cover the slow cooker. Cook at HIGH heat for 3-4 hours or LOW heat for 6-8 hours. Shred the chicken with two forks and stir in the cilantro.
- Divide the chicken between the tortillas and top with pico de gallo, guacamole and sour cream. Serve immediately.
This post was originally published on October 22, 2017 and was updated on December 13, 2019 with new content.
Could this be made using a pressure cooker? If so how long would you cook it for? Thanks!
I haven’t tested the recipe this way, but my guess would be 10 minutes on high manual pressure.
Thank you for replying. I pressured cooked it for 10 min let it natural release for 10 min. It came out delicious. I did have to add a little liquid about 1/2 cup though.
Are the nutritional facts just for the chicken or does that include the guac and pico? Thanks!
It includes the guacamole and pico, everything listed in the recipe card!
By any chance, do you think black beans might work in this (in the slow cooker)?
Like canned beans or dry beans?
Which salsa do you use?
I typically use Pace!
My daughter and I loved this recipe. Very easy to make.
I love this recipe. It’s so easy and flavorful. You can top your tacos with whatever you like, but doing it this way is so delicious! I love pico and guacamole and it’s so fuss free. Leftover meat is easy to use in other things like on salads or in burritos.
This recipe is delicious! The chicken really tastes like what is inside your enchiladas at a Mexican restaurant… but better! We love taco night and this recipe will definitely be used again by me! 😍
OMG!!! this is sooo delicious. I just finished making and eating my first taco. This recipe is very simple to follow..Thank you so much for sharing your recipe. ❤❤❤
These were a hit in my house last night. We have been looking for a way to make chicken flavorful and this did it. Thank you for the recipe!
I loved how much chicken this made. Tasted good and enough for 2 meals.
How many people did this feed for you?
What an easy and delicious tacos recipe! Made last night! It was so GOOD! Next time I am going to double the recipe!
These chicken tacos look great and full of flavor! Can’t wait to try in the new year 🙂
You had me at 4 ingredients and 5 minutes of prep time. This will make the perfect weeknight meal when we are in a time crunch.