This Wisconsin brat & beer cheese dip is creamy, cheesy and loaded with bratwurst. It’s a hearty appetizer that’s perfect for game day entertaining!
The holidays are over, but that doesn’t mean the food and fun has to end! This brat & beer cheese dip is for all of you Wisconsin professional football fans out there – because there’s nothing better than creamy cheese paired with beer and sausage, am I right?!
How do you make beer cheese dip?
This amazingly delicious dip was created by the McCormick kitchens and is part of their 50 Dips for 50 States project. McCormick took the signature flavors of each state to help you elevate your “bowl game” and help you bring your team spirit to the table. I want to try all of the dips, they look fabulous!
This brat & beer cheese dip is made with some of Wisconsin’s finest foods – bratwurst, beer, cheddar cheese, and cheese curds. All of these flavors come together so nicely with the help of McCormick Pork Gravy. I love how simple this dip is to prepare, and it’s always a huge hit with my family and friends. I used a sharp white cheddar cheese for the base of the dip, but feel free to use a different variety of cheddar cheese if you prefer.
What kind of beer is best for beer cheese dip?
For this dip, you’ll want to use a milder flavored beer, and be sure to use a beer that you like to drink! I recommend using a lager style beer which pairs perfectly with the sausage and cheese.
What to serve with beer cheese dip
I like to serve this dip with everything pretzel – soft pretzel bites, pretzel chips and pretzel squares. I also put out an assortment of fresh veggies so that there are plenty of dipping options to suit everyone’s preferences. Other great options are crackers, sliced baguette or breadsticks. The cheese curds melted over the top just might be my favorite part of the whole thing.
Football food is some of the best kind of food, and this dip definitely doesn’t disappoint in that area. I’m making this dip for my football viewing party this weekend, and I know it’ll be the first thing to disappear!
More great party dips
Beer Cheese Dip
- 1 pound bratwurst sausages casing removed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup beer such as Miller® (headquartered in Milwaukee)
- 1 package McCormick® Pork Gravy Mix
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup cheese curds or shredded white Cheddar cheese
- Optional garnishes: cooked crumbled bratwurst and chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook and crumble sausage in large skillet on medium-high heat until browned. Drain fat. Remove from skillet. Set aside.
- Melt butter in same large skillet on medium heat. Sprinkle with flour. Cook and stir 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk, beer and Gravy Mix with whisk until smooth. Stirring constantly, bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until sauce starts to thicken. Gradually stir in shredded cheese until melted and smooth. Stir in cooked sausage. Spoon into 9-inch glass pie plate. Sprinkle with cheese curds.
- Bake 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve with soft pretzel bites or pretzel chips. Garnish with crumbled sausage and parsley if desired.
This post is sponsored by McCormick. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Dinner at the Zoo possible!