This easy pico de gallo recipe is the perfect topping for tacos and burritos and makes a great dip for tortilla chips! Salsa fresca takes just minutes to make and tastes so much better than the store bought kind.
You can never go wrong with a fresh and colorful dip like cowboy caviar or this fabulous tomato based pico de gallo.
I happen to love salsa, it’s the ultimate low cal condiment! It’s awesome on tacos, perfect on a piece of grilled chicken and can even be used for dessert! This pico de gallo recipe is a classic that never gets old. It’s fresh, flavorful and oh so easy to make. It also tastes WAY better than any pre-packaged salsa you’ll find at the grocery store.
What is pico de gallo?
Pico de gallo is also known as salsa fresca or salsa cruda. It’s a fresh condiment made with tomatoes, onion, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro and lime juice. It differs from standard salsa in that it’s thicker and chunkier in texture and does not contain any extra liquid.
Did you know that a lot of the fresh packed salsas at the grocery store contain preservatives and stabilizers? It’s true. This pico de gallo is simple and fresh ingredients combined together to make an awesome dip or Mexican food condiment. This is a very simple recipe, which means it only tastes as good as the ingredients themselves. Look for the ripest tomatoes you can find for this pico de gallo for the best results.
How do you make pico de gallo?
The hardest part about this recipe is the time it takes to chop up the veggies! You’ll want to try to cut everything into small, uniform pieces so that the salsa fresca is easy to scoop up with chips. I used red onion here instead of the traditional white onion because it’s sweeter and doesn’t have the harsh flavor that can sometimes come along with other types of onion. The tomatoes and onions are combined with jalapeno, garlic, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Mix it all together and you’ll be ready to go!
Tips for pico de gallo
- Fresh salsa tastes best if it you let it sit for at least 20 minutes before you plan to serve it so that the flavors can come together.
- This recipe is written for a mild pico de gallo; when you remove the seeds and ribs of the jalapeno as instructed, it loses most of its heat. If you prefer a spicy pico de gallo, you can keep some of the ribs and seeds to get your desired heat level.
- Make sure you dice all of your ingredients finely so that it’s easy to scoop up the salsa with chips. If the tomato pieces are too big, they can fall off the chips.
- Salsa fresca tastes best when served at room temperature. When you refrigerate tomatoes, they can sometimes take on a mealy texture, so I recommend serving your salsa right away.
- If you need to make your pico de gallo in advance, you can make it up to 4 hours before you plan to serve it.
Is pico de gallo good for you?
Pico de gallo is a great choice for a healthy diet. It’s loaded with fresh veggies and is low in calories, fat free, low sodium and low carb. I often use pico de gallo ass a low calorie substitute for dressing on a taco salad, or serve it as a topping for lean proteins.
Once you try homemade pico de gallo, you’ll never want to go back to the store bought stuff!
Ways to use pico de gallo
Pico de Gallo Video
Pico de Gallo Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups diced roma tomatoes cored and seeded
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeno seeds and ribs removed, then minced
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- the juice of one lime
- salt to taste
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
This post was originally published on October 16, 2017 and was updated on May 26, 2019 with new content.
I just made this recipe..absolutely amazing..this is a keeper.Thank you so much!!
WOW is all I can say! So easy and good for a few days! I found myself putting it on meat, chicken and salmon
I loved the flavor of this Pico de Gallo! I brought to a family cookout and it was eaten so fast!
Such a colorful and flavorful recipe! Served it with chips for my niece’s graduation party and it was a hit!
This is easily a family favorite! So good and easy to make!
So delicious, fresh, and easy!
Homemade is the best!! I LOVE pico de gallo!!
The perfect simple recipe to highlight the fresh flavors of a good pico!
Once you made your own salsa, you simply can never go back to store bought version. Yours look super refreshing and is just perfect for some healthy snacking.
Will be needing this for tacos later this week. Looks perfect.
I love pico! Making it was so simple and delicious, thank you!
You just can’t beat homemade salsa, and your pico de gallo looks so fresh and delicious. I could put this on everything.
Love pico de gallo! My husband loves it on eggs!
It’s so cool to make my own pico de gallo. It can’t get any fresher. I like extra cilantro.