This easy chicken noodle casserole is a complete meal in one pan with chicken, veggies and egg noodles all baked together in a creamy sauce! An easy dinner the whole family will love.
There are days when you want to be virtuous and eat a vegan salad for dinner, and there are other days when you’re craving comfort food. This chicken noodle casserole is comfort food at its finest, and it’s also super easy to make. My kids request this casserole all the time, it’s reminiscent of the flavors of classic chicken soup, but in a creamy casserole format. This casserole is also great for feeding a crowd!
How to make chicken noodle casserole
This recipe starts with cooked chicken, you can use leftover chicken, roasted chicken, rotisserie chicken, whatever you prefer. The chicken is mixed together with cooked egg noodles, frozen vegetables, seasonings, cream of chicken soup and cheddar cheese, then baked to perfection.
I use extra wide egg noodles just because I feel like they hold up better texture wise in the casserole, but wide egg noodles will work too. For the veggies, I like to use a combination of frozen peas and carrots, but it actually wasn’t that easy to find that blend, I guess it’s not popular nowadays?! You can use any type of frozen veggie you like, a medley or frozen broccoli would also be great in this casserole.
Yes, this recipe contains cream of chicken soup. I know a lot of people have issues with cream of soups, I use the heart healthy style here which is lower in fat and doesn’t contain MSG. If you don’t want to do cream of chicken soup, you could try making a homemade white sauce instead.
This chicken noodle casserole can be assembled up to 4 hours before you plan to serve it, simply store it in the fridge covered, then bake. You’ll want to add another 15-20 minutes to the bake time if it’s coming straight from the fridge. This casserole is a great way to get a quick and easy dinner on the table that your family will love, your kids might even eat the veggies!
More comfort food classics
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Cheeseburger Meatloaf
- Baked Fried Chicken
- Chicken and Rice Casserole
Chicken Noodle Casserole Video
Chicken Noodle Casserole
- 12 ounces egg noodles uncooked
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 10 ounce cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots or frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9"x13" pan with cooking spray.
- Cook the egg noodles according to package directions.
- In a large bowl, combine the noodles, chicken, soup, milk, cheese, peas and carrots, garlic powder, onion powder and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the noodle mixture in the prepared dish and cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.