This easy recipe for chicken enchilada casserole is layers of tortillas, shredded chicken, enchilada sauce and cheese, all baked together to golden brown perfection. A quick and simple meal that the whole family will love!
Sometimes there’s just nothing better than a piping hot casserole, loaded with cheese of course! This easy chicken enchilada casserole is so simple to put together, but really delivers in the flavor department. I love Mexican food, especially enchiladas but sometimes I just don’t have the time to individually roll a million enchiladas. This casserole has all of the same flavors in half the prep time.
How do you make chicken enchilada casserole?
There’s just 5 ingredients in this chicken enchilada casserole – chicken, tortillas, beans, cheese and enchilada sauce. Everything gets stacked together in layers in a casserole before it’s baked to golden brown perfection.
Tips for chicken enchilada casserole
- You can use any type of cooked chicken for this dish. I typically use leftover diced chicken or shredded rotisserie chicken. You can also roast chicken for this recipe, or put some chicken breasts in the slow cooker.
- This casserole can be assembled up to 4 hours before you plan to serve it.
- I recommend grating your own cheese for this recipe – it’s a little more work, but freshly grated cheese melts a lot smoother than the pre-shredded kind in a bag.
- This recipe can easily be doubled to feed a large crowd.
Enchilada casserole variations
There are so many different ways to customize this casserole to your preferences!
- Protein: Try using ground turkey, beef or shrimp instead of the chicken.
- Beans: Refried beans and black beans work well if you don’t have pinto beans on hand.
- Tortillas: This recipe works well with both corn and flour tortillas, so choose whichever one your family prefers.
- Cheese: I typically make this dish with Monterey Jack cheese, but other great options are cheddar, mozzarella and pepper jack.
- Additions: You can add other ingredients to your casserole such as corn, green chiles, diced bell pepper or sauteed onions.
I love to add toppings to my casserole after it comes out of the oven – it’s an optional step but it really makes this dish special! Some great topping ideas include avocado, olives, red onion, cilantro, tomatoes, sour cream or green chiles.
This is a great recipe to have for those busy nights when you don’t have a ton of time to get dinner on the table. It’s a crowd pleaser for both kids and adults alike.
More great Mexican recipes
Chicken Enchilada Casserole Video
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 8 small tortillas cut into halves, corn or flour
- 2 cups of cooked shredded chicken breast
- 2 cups of shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 15-ounce can of pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce
- cooking spray
- optional garnishes: olives, sour cream, red onions, cilantro, green onions, avocado, tomato
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8 or 9 inch square baking pan or 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread 1/4 cup of sauce over the bottom of the baking dish. Layer 4 halves of tortilla over the sauce so that the bottom of the pan is covered.
- Layer 1/3 of the chicken, 1/3 of the beans, 1/2 cup of the cheese and 1/3 cup of enchilada sauce over the tortillas.
- Place a second layer of tortillas on top and layer 1/3 of the chicken, 1/3 of the beans, 1/2 cup of the cheese and 1/3 cup enchilada sauce over the tortillas.
- Repeat this process one more time for the third layer. Place the remaining tortilla halves over the top and spread the remaining enchilada sauce over the tortillas.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheese over the top.
- Cover with foil that's been sprayed with cooking spray and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned.
- Let sit for 5 minutes to firm up, then top with garnishes and serve.
This post was originally published on September 19, 2016 and was updated on March 19, 2019 with new content.