This easy recipe for chicken enchilada casserole is just 5 ingredients, all layered together and baked to perfection. A quick and simple meal that the whole family will love!
Sometimes there’s just nothing better than a piping hot casserole, loaded with cheese of course! This easy chicken enchilada casserole is so simple to put together, but really delivers in the flavor department. I love Mexican food, especially enchiladas but sometimes I just don’t have the time to individually roll a million enchiladas. This cassserole has all of the same flavors in half the prep time.
There’s just 5 ingredients in this chicken enchilada casserole – chicken, tortillas, beans, cheese and enchilada sauce. There’s a lot of room for variation here – I typically use shredded leftover chicken, but rotisserie chicken would also be great. You can use corn or flour tortillas, just make sure they’re the small size so that they’ll fit in the pan. I go with canned red enchilada sauce, although you could do green to switch things up a bit. I also use pinto beans and Monterey Jack cheese because my family likes them, but black beans or cheddar would also be super delicious.
All of the ingredients get layered in the pan and baked. Then comes the fun part – the toppings! I like to load up my casserole with toppings like chopped tomatoes, cilantro, olives and avocado. Honestly though, this chicken enchilada casserole is even good without the toppings, that’s totally an optional step.
This chicken enchilada casserole is a hit with the kids and adults in my family and can easily be doubled if you’re feeding a crowd. Here’s a video tutorial that shows you just how easy it is to put this recipe together!
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 8 small tortillas cut into halves, corn or flour
- 2 cups of cooked shredded chicken breast
- 2 cups of shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 15-ounce can of pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce
- cooking spray
- optional garnishes: olives sour cream, red onions, cilantro, green onions, avocado, tomato
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8 or 9 inch square baking pan or 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread 1/4 cup of sauce over the bottom of the baking dish. Layer 4 halves of tortilla over the sauce so that the bottom of the pan is covered.
- Layer 1/3 of the chicken, 1/3 of the beans, 1/2 cup of the cheese and 1/3 cup of enchilada sauce over the tortillas.
- Place a second layer of tortillas on top and layer 1/3 of the chicken, 1/3 of the beans, 1/2 cup of the cheese and 1/3 cup enchilada sauce over the tortillas.
- Repeat this process one more time for the third layer. Place the remaining tortilla halves over the top and spread the remaining enchilada sauce over the tortillas.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheese over the top.
- Cover with foil that's been sprayed with cooking spray and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned.
- Let sit for 5 minutes to firm up, then top with garnishes and serve.