This homemade Italian seasoning is a blend of a variety of herbs and spices that creates a flavorful mix that can be used for so many different dishes including chicken, fish, meatballs, pasta and so much more! Best of all, it only takes 5 minutes to put together.
I love to make my own seasoning blends, they’re less expensive and taste better than the store bought options. I always have a few different spice mixes in my kitchen including taco seasoning, Cajun seasoning and this super easy Italian seasoning.
If you’ve been around this website for any length of time, you know that many of my recipes call for Italian seasoning. I love the depth of flavor it adds to savory dishes. While in the past I would grab a bottle of this seasoning at the store, I’ve since learned to make my own. The homemade version tastes better and is ready in minutes, which means I always keep a jar of it on hand!
What is Italian seasoning made of?
This seasoning mix is a blend of different herbs and spices.
- Basil: Dried basil is a classic foundation of Italian cooking and a must-have for this seasoning.
- Oregano: There are two types of oregano at the store; Mediterranean and Mexican oregano. For this recipe, you’ll want to purchase the Mediterranean oregano.
- Garlic: Garlic powder is a great way to get a hint of that essential flavor without having to do any chopping of fresh garlic cloves.
- Rosemary: This is a pungent herb, so you’ll want to use it sparingly.
- Parsley: Dried parsley adds a fresh flavor along with a bright green color.
- Thyme: Look for thyme leaves, not ground thyme for your spice blend.
- Marjoram: This is a less familiar herb that is reminiscent of oregano, but includes citrus notes.
How do you make Italian seasoning?
Place all of the herbs and garlic powder in a bowl. Stir to combine. Transfer the Italian seasoning to an airtight container or jar. Use immediately, or store in a cool dry place for up to 6 months.
Tips for the perfect spice blend
- I typically make a double or tripe batch of this seasoning so that I always have some on hand.
- Contrary to popular opinion, dried herbs and spices don’t last forever! Their flavor fades over time. For best results, use herbs and spices that have been purchased in the past 3 months.
- You can use this seasoning on chicken, steak, fish, in marinades, on roasted potatoes or veggies, or even on pizza and pasta. The possibilities are endless.
- I recommend using 1 teaspoon of seasoning per pound of meat.
This recipe is a classic version of this seasoning blend, but you can add other ingredients to customize the flavors to your tastes.
- Onion: You can add 1/2 teaspoon of onion power or dried minced onion flakes.
- Lemon Pepper: Add up to 1/2 teaspoon of lemon pepper for a bold and zesty flavor.
- Dill: Sometimes I add 1/2 teaspoon of dried dill which is not a classic Italian flavor, but blends well with the other herbs in the dish.
- Sage: You can add 3/4 teaspoon of sage to the seasoning if you have it on hand and enjoy the flavor.
- Chili Flakes: Add crushed red chili flakes to taste for a spicy kick!
I am never without a bottle of Italian seasoning in my kitchen, and with this easy recipe, you can always have it on hand too!
Great Ways to use Italian seasoning
Italian Seasoning Video
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- Place all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Use immediately, or transfer to an airtight container and store in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months.
This is a great recipe to create Italian Seasoning at home! Now, I’ll never run out! Super simple!
I love making my own its so much less expensive. I have always done the salts and cajun this is a must make today! Thanks for the seasoning amounts this will be great!
I love this idea, and this combination sounds like it could become one of my favorites!
I just ran out and was going to buy some more. Why have I never thought to make it myself at home? This came at the most perfect time, thank you so much for the recipe 🙂
I love Italian seasoning on any kinda meat or fish. Just so delicious and flavorful. Had no clue it was so easy to make
I am a huge fan of making my own spices and seasonings. Love this recipe, it’s the perfect combo!
I’ve been looking for different kinds of seasoning! This one is my new favorite! Thanks you so much for sharing this! It’s really helpful!
I love that this takes minimal time to put together – it sounds like a delicious seasoning and I might just have to whip up a batch!
Oh my goodness this would be so good in so many dishes. Why Have I not done this before?
This is such a great recipe to have on hand! Absolutely delicious and very tasty!