This honey garlic chicken stir fry recipe is full of chicken, broccoli and carrots, all coated in the easiest sweet and savory sauce. A healthier dinner option that the whole family will love!
Today I’ve got a honey garlic chicken version that’s quick, healthy and incredibly easy to make! I love that you can customize the meat and veggies exactly to your liking, and the honey garlic chicken sauce only has 4 ingredients, how can you go wrong with that?
How do you make chicken stir fry?
To make chicken stir fry, you’ll need boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into cubes, broccoli, carrots, soy sauce, honey and garlic.
Cook the vegetables in a hot pan, then remove the vegetables and add diced chicken breast and minced garlic. When the chicken is cooked through, add the vegetables back into the pan.
Whisk together chicken broth, soy sauce, honey and corn starch, then pour over the chicken and vegetables. Simmer for a few minutes then enjoy!
How do you cook chicken for stir fry?
The best way to cook chicken for stir fry is to season it with salt and pepper, then sear it in oil in a hot pan until browned and cooked through. Be careful not to overcrowd your pan; if you add too much meat at once, the chicken will steam instead of brown.
You can use whatever vegetables you like here, I typically go with carrots and broccoli because that’s what my family prefers. Other great options are
- bell peppers
- snow peas
- green beans
What kind of sauce do you put in a stir fry?
Most stir fry sauces are made with soy sauce, garlic, and other seasonings such as sesame oil, ginger, rice vinegar, chicken broth or chili sauce. One important component of stir fry sauce is a thickening agent, such as cornstarch. A thicker sauce will cling better to your chicken and vegetables.
This recipe is written for garlic lovers with 4 cloves of garlic in the dish. If you prefer you can cut that amount down to 2-3 cloves and it’ll still be delicious. Serve your honey garlic chicken over rice for a quick meal that’s sure to please the whole family.
More stir fry recipes
- Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Teriyaki Shrimp Stir Fry
- Orange Beef Stir Fry
- Moo Goo Gai Pan
Honey Garlic Chicken Stir Fry
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon vegetable oil divided use
- 1 cup thinly sliced peeled carrots
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth or water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the broccoli and carrots and cook for approximately 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan; place them on a plate and cover.
- Wipe the pan clean with a paper towel and turn the heat to high.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and add them to the pan in a single layer - you may need to do this step in batches. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through.
- Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the vegetables back to the pan and cook for 2 more minutes or until the vegetables are warmed through.
- In a bowl whisk together the chicken broth, honey and soy sauce.
- In a small bowl mix the cornstarch with a tablespoon of cold water.
- Pour the soy sauce mixture over the chicken and vegetables; cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the cornstarch and bring to a boil; cook for 1 more minute or until sauce has just started to thicken.
- Serve immediately, with rice if desired.