This cheeseburger pie is a combination of ground beef, cheese, bacon and seasonings, all baked together to golden brown perfection. Top your hamburger pie with pickles, lettuce and tomato for a family friendly dinner that everyone will love!
When it comes to dinner time, you can’t go wrong with a cheesy casserole! My family goes crazy over beef noodle casserole, Mexican casserole and this easy cheeseburger pie.
Everyone loves a good cheeseburger, and this cheeseburger pie is like your favorite burger served up in casserole form! It’s a simple mix of ingredients and takes just minutes to put together, but the end result is a comfort food classic that’s sure to be a hit.
How do you make cheeseburger pie?
This recipe is a blend of ground beef, bacon and onions which all get cooked together in a skillet. The meat mixture goes into a pie plate and a layer of shredded cheddar cheese is sprinkled over the top. The final step is a batter made with milk, eggs and baking mix. Pour the batter over the meat, then bake until golden brown. Add your favorite burger toppings and dinner is served!
Tips for cheeseburger pie
- I use 90% lean ground beef for this recipe – it has plenty of flavor but isn’t overly greasy. If you choose to use a meat with higher fat content, be sure to drain off any excess grease before proceeding with the recipe.
- This recipe works best in a deep dish 9 inch pie pan or a regular 10 inch pie pan. If you use a standard 9 inch pie pan it won’t be large enough to hold all the batter.
- I recommend using freshly grated cheese for this recipe – the pre-shredded kind in a bag is coated with anti-caking agents and it doesn’t melt as well.
- Top your pie with your favorite burger fixings such as shredded lettuce, tomato, pickles, bacon, red onion and avocado.
- You can assemble your pie up to 8 hour before you plan to bake it. Store the pie covered in the refrigerator until you’re ready to put it in the oven. You may need to increase the cooking time to compensate for starting with a cold casserole.
- This pie is hearty enough to stand alone as a full meal. I often serve it with a green salad or steamed vegetable such as broccoli or green beans.
Cheeseburger pie variations
There are so many different ways to customize this recipe to suit your preferences!
- Protein: Try ground turkey or mild Italian sausage instead of ground beef.
- Cheese: While I typically use cheddar cheese, other great options are pepper jack, swiss or mozzarella.
- Vegetables: You can add some vegetables to your pie such as sauteed mushrooms or peppers, or canned green chiles.
- Spices: Try adding some chili powder, smoked paprika or garlic powder to the batter.
No matter how you serve your cheeseburger pie, it’s sure to become a part of your regular dinner rotation! If you love this recipe, you’ll also enjoy my easy and hearty ground beef stroganoff recipe.
More great dinner recipes you’ll love
- King Ranch Chicken
- Nacho Sloppy Joes
- Chile Relleno Casserole
- Dorito Casserole
- Jalapeno Popper Mac and Cheese
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 1 pound ground beef I use 90% lean
- 1/2 cup onion finely diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup baking mix such as Bisquick
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- cooking spray
- assorted toppings such as shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes and pickles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9 inch deep dish pie pan or regular 10 inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Place a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the bacon from the pan and place on a paper towel. Drain all but 1 teaspoon of bacon grease from the pan.
- Add the ground beef and onion to the pan. Cook for 6-7 minutes, breaking up the beef with a spatula.
- Stir in the salt, pepper and garlic powder and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add 2/3 of the bacon back to the pan, reserving the remaining bacon for garnish.
- Place the meat mixture in the pie plate. Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the Bisquick, milk and eggs. Pour the batter over the meat and cheese in the pie plate.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until pie is golden brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Top with remaining bacon and burger toppings such as tomatoes and lettuce.
- Cut into wedges and serve immediately.
I love cheeseburger. The pictures alone sealed the deal for me. This looks and sounds incredibly tasty.
I’ve never seen this type of meat pie before, but it looks delicious! I might have to try this recipe!
This recipe looks so delicious. We would try to make it with turkey because we don’t eat beef!
A very unique and rare pie that I’ve encounter. You’ve done a great twist of creating and making this recipe. It’s so enticing and very tempting too. Plus, it definitely looks delicious with all that perfectly cook beef top with cheese. Thank you for sharing this recipe to us.
My kids would absolutely love this recipe. They love cheeseburgers and I am always looking for a new recipe.
A cheese burger pie ? This sounds so tasty and interesting. I would love to try this out.
This sounds Incredibly delicious. I have to make this soon for my family!
What a tasty dinner idea! I’m always looking for new things to try with the family so definitely need to give this a go.
Yum!! This looks delicious and easy to make!
Absolutely delicious idea! Another great weeknight meal for the family, Sara!
This looks so delicious! I would love to make something like this. I love cheeseburgers in all shapes and sizes so this seems perfect.
I would have to prepare this pie on a weekend. Love this recipe.
I love cheeseburger pie! I haven’t had it in so long; I think I’ll have to have it soon (dietary-restriction friendly, of course)!
Well, my husband wold love this. I don’t eat meat, so I would have to substitute if I made it.
Your cheeseburger pie looks amazing. I pinned it to make this week for dinner. I can’t wait to try it. Thanks for sharing!!
wow this looks amazing!
I’m making this for dinner tonight! I have been craving burgers and this is a fun spin on a classic meal! Delicious!
Wow, this looks so tasty, need to try it.
Oh. My. GAWD! I have to make this for the family immediately! I have never seen such a thing, but I know it’s going to be a hit.
This looks like a great family pleasing dinner! Such s good idea.