This fry sauce is a blend of savory ingredients that’s perfect for serving alongside french fries and hamburgers. Fry sauce takes just 5 minutes to put together and turns plain french fries into something extraordinary.
I’m a huge french fry fan, whether it’s baked potato wedges, sweet potato fries or traditional french fries. The best way to enjoy fries is with a side of fry sauce, and it couldn’t be any easier to make!
Have you ever tried fry sauce? If not, you’ve been missing out! It’s a rich and creamy blend of ingredients that really adds a lot of flavor to any type of french fry. You’ll find yourself making this sauce on a regular basis.
What is fry sauce made of?
The base of most fry sauces is a mixture of ketchup and mayonnaise. From there, a number of flavor enhancers can be added such as Worcestershire sauce, sugar, vinegar, hot sauce, pickles, mustard and spices. This particular recipe uses the traditional base, along with pickle juice, Worcestershire sauce and a blend of spices.
Where is fry sauce popular?
This condiment became commonplace in Utah, and its popularity spread to nearby states including Idaho. Many burger restaurants now offer fry sauce as a standard menu item, both in the Utah region and nationwide.
How do you make fry sauce?
This sauce is easy to make and can be on the table in a manner of minutes. Start by placing ketchup, mayonnaise, sugar, pickle brine, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, smoked paprika and hot sauce in a bowl. Stir until well combined. Serve immediately, or store for later use.
Tips for the perfect sauce
- I prefer to use ketchup that’s made with real sugar versus high fructose corn syrup.
- If you’re looking to save a few calories, you can use light mayo instead of the full fat variety. Use a high quality brand of mayonnaise such as Best Food’s, Hellman’s or Duke’s.
- Smoked paprika can be found in the spice aisle of most grocery stores, and it adds a lot of great flavor to this dip. If you don’t have it on hand, you can substitute regular paprika.
- This sauce stays fresh in the fridge for up to 5 days. I don’t recommend freezing this one, as it can separate and get watery when thawed.
- Fry sauce also works as a condiment for hamburgers, hot dogs or chicken nuggets. It also makes a great dipping sauce for other fried foods.
While this sauce is delicious as is, you can add other ingredients to the mix to customize it to your tastes.
- Spicy: For a sauce with a spicy kick, increase the hot sauce to 1-2 teaspoons. You can use traditional hot sauce, sriracha sauce or buffalo wing sauce.
- Mustard: Feel free to add up to 1 teaspoon of yellow or Dijon mustard.
- Sweetener: You can substitute brown sugar or honey instead of the granulated sugar.
- Smoky: Double the amount of smoked paprika, or for a smoky flavor with a little heat, use chipotle pepper powder or a canned chipotle pepper that’s been pureed.
- Asian: Try this yum yum sauce recipe for a creamy sauce with a bit of Asian inspired flair!
This sauce enhances the flavor of french fries and other deep fried foods, and is a must-try condiment. All of your family members and friends will be asking for a copy of the recipe.
Recipes that go well with fry sauce
- Beer Battered Fried Green Beans
- Avocado Fries
- Deep Fried Pickles
- Fried Mushrooms
- Crispy Fried Shrimp
Fry Sauce Video
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon pickle brine
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce or more to taste
- Place the mayonnaise, ketchup, pickle brine, granulated sugar, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, smoked paprika and hot sauce in a bowl.
- Whisk until smooth. Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Pickle brine; Sweet or dill? Want to try this, but need more info.
I use dill pickle!
It’s so weird to me that people are leaving five star reviews without even trying this, but this is one case where there’s no harm, no foul, because this is definitely a five star sauce. I made it tonight to dip our onion rings in, and it’s even better than Stan’s in Payson, who claim to have invented fry sauce.
Love this SO much more than ketchup!
Such a tasty sauce and easy too! Definitely better with fries than with just ketchup; it’s easily my kids favorite way to enjoy fries!
As a Utahn, I love fry sauce. Thanks for offering up this version ( I also like the Shake Shack sauce) – but I’m also happy with a nice mix of Best Foods and Ketchup. My mom says she was a fry sauce maker back in the 1960’s at the Yakima, WA Dairy Queen, so even if Utah didn’t invent fry sauce, we sure are the most passionate about it 🙂
I really love the flavors of ketchup and mayonnaise together! The spices are a nice touch too!
YUM!! Such a fantastic sauce! A must try!
mmm..I need to try this!! Sounds SO delicious!
My kid wants to find the perfect sauce. He is trying new recipes. We will make this one too!
I need to try this fry sauce immediately, it looks so good!
We’ve been making alot of air fryer fries over the past couple of month and boy was this fry sauce a hit! I can’t imagine fries without it now. Such great flavors!
OH I need to try this very soon, it sounds amazing!
I used this the other night for my stir fry and it was so delicious. It had a lot of flavor. I can’t wait to use this again!
The sauce is really good. I usually just mix equal part ketchup and mayo, but I’ve been missing out!