This cabbage and sausage skillet is a combination of smoked sausage, vegetables and savory seasonings, all cooked together to make a quick and easy dinner. A hearty low carb meal that always gets rave reviews!
When I’m looking for a super fast meal that I know the whole family will eat, I turn to favorites such as garlic butter chicken and mushrooms, grilled scallops and this super simple sausage and cabbage dish.
There are some days where I just have no idea what to make for dinner. On those days, I pull some staples out of my fridge and pantry to put together a cabbage and sausage skillet. This dish only has a few ingredients, and can be on the table in 30 minutes or less!
How do you make cabbage and sausage?
Heat olive oil in a pan, then add the sausage and cook until it is tender and golden brown. Remove the sausage from the pan, then add butter, onions and garlic. Cook until the onions are tender, then add chopped cabbage and seasonings. Continue to cook the cabbage until it is softened, then place the sausage back in the pan. Add a sprinkle of parsley, then serve and enjoy!
How to cut a cabbage
You can save a little time by buying a bag of pre-shredded cabbage, but I prefer to chop my own cabbage. I make the cabbage pieces a little larger than what you’d find in a bag of coleslaw because I like the vegetables to be similar in size to the sausage pieces. Start by washing the cabbage and removing the outer leaves. Cut the cabbage into quarters, then cut the core out of each quarter. Use a sharp knife and coarsely chop the cabbage into 1 inch pieces to use in the recipe.
Tips for the perfect dish
- I typically use kielbasa as it’s flavorful and readily available. You can use turkey or beef kielbasa, either will work just fine.
- This dish will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Leftovers can be reheated on the stove or in the microwave.
- You can serve your sausage and cabbage as-is, or add a side of mashed potatoes, steamed rice, green beans or cauliflower rice. A nice loaf of crusty bread is also a great option to round out the meal.
- The great thing about this recipe is that it can easily be doubled or even tripled if you’re feeding a crowd.
Cabbage and sausage flavor variations
This recipe is great as-is, but there are so many different ways to customize the flavors to your own tastes.
- Protein: Instead of kielbasa, try a different type of sausage such as andouille or Italian sausage. You can also use ground beef, ground turkey or diced chicken.
- Vegetables: Add extra veggies such as mushrooms, bell peppers, green beans or zucchini.
- Cheese: This recipe is great with a little cheddar or mozzarella cheese sprinkled over the top.
- Seasonings: Amp up the flavor with a dash of Worcestershire sauce, crushed red chili flakes or a drizzle of red wine vinegar.
Cabbage and sausage is a classic dish for good reason – it’s economical, fast and always a welcome addition to the dinner table.
More great ways to enjoy cabbage
Cabbage and Sausage Skillet Video
Cabbage and Sausage Skillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound smoked sausage such as kielbasa, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 4 cups cabbage coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the sausage and cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and cover to keep warm.
- Melt the butter in the pan. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Place the cabbage, Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper in the pan.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes or until cabbage is wilted. Stir in the sausage and cook for 1 more minute.
- Sprinkle with parsley, then serve.