This Cajun seasoning is a blend of herbs and spices, all mixed together to form a flavor base for a variety of Cajun inspired recipes. This spice mix will last for months, and can be used to season seafood, chicken, soups, vegetables and more.
I love to keep my own spice blends and sauces on hand, it really adds so much flavor dimension to my food! I typically make my own BBQ spice rub, BBQ sauce, Jamaican jerk seasoning and this savory and zesty Cajun seasoning.
I try to make my own spice mixes whenever possible. The store bought blends often contain ingredients I don’t want, like sugar and preservatives, and homemade seasonings only take minutes to put together. This Cajun seasoning is way better than anything you’d find at the store, and is so easy to make.
What is Cajun spice made of?
The basic components of Cajun spice include garlic, onion, salt, pepper, herbs and spices. My version includes two types of paprika, a little cayenne pepper for heat, and both dried oregano and thyme leaves to round out the flavor profile.
How do you make Cajun seasoning?
Place salt, sweet paprika, smoked paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, onion powder, oregano, thyme and cayenne pepper in a bowl. Stir until well mixed. Use the spice mixture right away, or store it in a jar or airtight container for up to 6 months.
Tips for perfect spice blend
- I often make a double or triple batch of this Cajun seasoning so that I always have some on hand.
- It’s definitely worth it to use both the sweet and smoked paprika varieties. The smoked version adds a ton of flavor and is readily available in the spice aisle of most grocery stores.
- There are two types of oregano that are typically sold at the store, both Mexican and Mediterranean. For this recipe, it’s best to use the Mediterranean oregano, although either one will work.
- I recommend using freshly ground black pepper for maximum flavor.
- This seasoning mix contains salt, which means you will not need to add any extra salt to your protein or vegetables when you cook it.
- You can alter the heat level by increasing or decreasing the amount of cayenne pepper. The amount of cayenne in the recipe produces a Cajun seasoning with a moderate heat level. You can omit the cayenne altogether if you don’t like heat, or add more for a spicier blend.
What is Cajun seasoning used for?
Cajun seasoning is not just for Cajun food! I sprinkle my seasoning over chicken, fish, potatoes, steak and pasta.
- Marinades: Add 2-3 teaspoons of your seasoning blend to 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 2 teaspoons minced garlic, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce to make a versatile marinade that works with chicken, steak and shrimp.
- Pasta: Add 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning to homemade or store bought Alfredo sauce to give it a zesty kick.
- Steak: Mix together 2 tablespoons of butter with 1 teaspoon chopped parsley and 3/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning. Place a scoop of the seasoned butter onto a cooked steak.
- Potatoes: Cut Russet potatoes into wedges. Toss the potatoes with 1/4 cup olive oil and 2-3 teaspoons seasoning. Bake on a greased sheet pan at 425 degrees F for 40 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Veggies: Toss broccoli or cauliflower with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon Cajun spice. Roast at 425 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are browned and tender.
Once you have this amazing seasoning blend on hand, you’ll find yourself sprinkling it on almost anything!
Cajun style recipes to try
Cajun Seasoning Video
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika sometimes just labeled as "paprika", you want to avoid the hot variety
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper freshly ground is best
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place the sweet paprika, smoked paprika, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, oregano, thyme and cayenne pepper in a bowl.
- Stir to combine. Use immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
This was perfect on shrimp! Great flavor!
Love that I have everything in my pantry to make this right now. So easy!
I’ve recently become a fan of Cajun cooking. Glad I found this.
We used this on our pork tenderloin last night. SO GOOD.
I love how I have all of the ingredients in my cabinet to make this seasoning! Perfect!
I would sprinkle this seasoning on everything! I can’t wait until I mix this together!
This Cajun seasoning looks fabulous!
I love making my own seasoning blends. It makes me happy to know exactly what goes in. I am thinking of all the ways I want to use this seasoning!
I made this and put it on chicken. It was so delicious!
OOH! Yes! I’m almost out but have everything to make this with!
I highly recommend this it tastes amazing!
I love Cajun food