These grilled scallops are marinated in a blend of olive oil, lemon, garlic and herbs, then seared to golden brown perfection on the grill. A quick and easy meal option that’s simple yet totally satisfying!
I try to serve seafood at least once a week for dinner. Some of my family’s favorite recipes include seafood pasta, shrimp boil and these fabulous grilled scallops. If your family loves seafood as much as mine does, try serving crab mac and cheese with these scallops for a memorable meal.
Scallops are one of my favorite ingredients to work with. They’re naturally tender and full of flavor and need little embelishment to create a great meal. These grilled scallops are coated in a quick marinade for the ultimate dinner with minimal work!
Grilled Scallops Ingredients
The ingredients for this recipe include sea scallops, as well as marinade ingredients including olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. The scallops are finished with a sprinkle of fresh parsley.
HOW TO BUY SCALLOPS
You want to use the large sea scallops for this recipe, not the small bay scallops. Look for scallops that are uniform in size and color and smell fresh – they shouldn’t have a strong fishy aroma. You can typically find fresh scallops at the seafood counter of most grocery stores. Frozen scallops also work well, just make sure they’re completely thawed and pat them dry before use.
How do you make grilled scallops?
Start by whisking together olive oil, lemon juice, herbs, garlic and seasonings. Add the scallops to the marinade and toss to coat. Soak the scallops for at least 15 minutes. You can either thread the scallops onto skewers or grill them without skewers. Place the marinated scallops on the grill and cook for a few minutes on each side until the scallops are opaque. Sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve with lemon wedges, then enjoy!
Tips for the perfect grilled scallops
- I find it easier to thread small to medium size scallops onto skewers to grill them; that way you’ll be sure not to lose any of that precious seafood through the grill grates! If you have extra large scallops and are looking for a more elegant presentation, feel free to grill them without skewers.
- This recipe works on both an outdoor grill and inside on a grill pan. The scallops can also be broiled in the oven.
- Do not marinate your scallops for more than two hours. The lemon juice in the marinade can start to cook the scallops after that point.
Scallops go from perfectly cooked to tough very quickly, so watch your seafood closely so that it does not overcook. The scallops will need to cook for 1-2 minutes per side. You’ll know when they are done because the flesh will be firm and opaque.
If you’re using an outdoor grill, you’ll want to take care to make sure that the scallops do not stick to the grates. 1) Make sure your grill grates are very clean. If there are bits of food left on the grilling surface, the scallops will be more likely to stick. 2) Brush your grill grates with vegetable oil before you place the scallops over the coals. 3) Make sure your grill is pre-heated before you add the scallops.
These grilled scallops make the perfect elegant dinner that’s sure to get rave reviews!
More seafood recipes to try
- Crab Legs with Garlic Butter
- Grilled Salmon
- Marinated Salmon
- Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- Grilled Lobster Tail
Grilled Scallops Video
- 1 1/4 pounds large sea scallops
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- lemon wedges for serving
- Place the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic in a large bowl or resealable plastic bag. Stir to combine the ingredients.
- Add the scallops to the bag or bowl. Toss to coat evenly with the marinade. Seal the bag or cover the bowl.
- Refrigerate and marinate for at least 15 minutes or up to 2 hours. You don't want to marinate for longer than that, as the acid in the lemon juice will start to cook the scallops.
- Thread the scallops onto skewers. This is optional, if you have very large scallops you can skip the skewers and toss them directly onto the grill.
- Heat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan over medium high heat.
- Place the skewers or loose scallops on the grill. Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side or until scallops are firm and opaque.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve with lemon wedges.
- It is easier to thread small to medium size scallops onto skewers to grill them; that way you’ll be sure not to lose any of your scallops through the grill grates! If you have extra large scallops and are looking for a more elegant presentation, feel free to grill them without skewers.
- This recipe works on both an outdoor grill and inside on a grill pan. The scallops can also be broiled in the oven for a few minutes.
Hello, these look amazing, can’t wait to try them…what is the side you have in the picture above?
It’s a box of pearl couscous pilaf with corn, red bell peppers and parsley added!
Sounds like one amazing, easy and healthy scallops recipe! I cant wait to give this one a try, saving for now!
I also use my grill pan to make these flavorful scallops. Love the buttery garlic and herbs flavors. It tastes so delicious!
Love the combination of ingredients in this recipe. SO flavorful. Thanks for sharing.
We had these scallops for dinner last night and they were AMAZING! The combination of lemon and herbs totally sends them over the top!
I love how quickly the scallops cook up. But they taste so decadent, people think that you spent a lot more time on this dish.
Great recipe ! Best scallops I’ve made.
Absolutely delicious recipe! My husband and I celebrated our 26th wedding anniversary and this was part of our feast. These scallops really outshined everything else besides lobster, but oh my goodness…these meted in our mouth. I cooked them in a cast iron on the grill and will definitely add these to many special occasion meals. Thank you for making our day extra special with this delectable recipe!!!
First time for me making scallops so I really needed your instructions. I made them for Father’s Day and they came out perfect!
I love this recipe! Thanks for all the tips, they really helped.
These were probably some of the best scallops I’ve ever had. SO GOOD.
Summery & refreshing flavors!! I will be grilling these all summer long!
This recipe was so delicious and the tips were very helpful! This was a hit here and will be making this again!
These scallops look absolutely amazing, especially with those grill marks! Such an easy and flavorful meal.
I love scallops but don’t get to eat them very often. These sound incredibly tasty and full of flavour.
Summer started and so grilling season. Love the idea of grilling scallops. Perfect BBQ recipe to enjoy.
The lemon 🍋 and herbs make such a difference. Every time!
These grilled scallops look like the perfect easy and quick dinner. Adding to our meal plan for sure!
I really don’t remember when was the last time I made scallops at home. Always order them but hardly ever make. Well, time to change that!
It is not always easy to make scallops, but I was so confident due to the recipe. Thanks! It turned out delicious!