This 6 ingredient mushroom rice is baked in the oven and takes just minutes to put together. Sauteed mushrooms are combined with rice, butter and french onion soup for a simple side dish that you won’t be able to stop eating!
I love a good rice pilaf, and this mushroom and onion version is my very favorite! It’s so easy to make and even my kids devour it. I often serve this rice as a side dish for slow cooker chicken or brown sugar pork chops.
Rice and mushrooms seem to be two very popular foods in my house. It’s why I came up with this mushroom rice, because I always have the ingredients on hand, making it a super easy dish to whip up. The best part of this dish is that it can be a side or a vegetarian main course, whichever you prefer.
HOW DO YOU MAKE MUSHROOM RICE?
This baked rice only has 6 ingredients, making it simple to put together on a busy weeknight. The first step is to cook up your mushrooms, you can even buy pre-sliced mushrooms to save on prep time. The mushrooms are combined with rice, butter, beef consomme and french onion soup for a savory and flavorful dish.
Tips for Mushroom Rice
- This baked mushroom rice can be cooked in an ovenproof pan with a lid, or in a square baking dish that’s covered in foil. Either one works, although I prefer the lid option myself.
- Be sure to use long grain rice for this dish, as short grain rice will become sticky during the longer baking time.
- Do not add any salt to this baked rice recipe. The dish has plenty of salt from the canned soups. Watching your salt intake? Look for low sodium versions of the soups.
Mushroom rice variations
I love this rice as-is, but sometimes I stir in other ingredients at the end of the cooking time for a different flavor.
- Greens: Add 2 cups of baby spinach or kale leaves.
- Cheese: Add 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Vegetables: Add 1/2 cup of diced tomatoes.
- Nuts: Add 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts.
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LONG GRAIN AND SHORT GRAIN RICE?
The biggest differences between the two types of rice is their starch content. Short grain rice is far more starchy than long grain rice so it often cooks up much softer and sticker than long grain rice does. Long grain rice has less starch so it turns out drier and is commonly used in pilafs and dishes with large amounts of sauce.
WHAT ARE THE BEST MUSHROOMS TO USE WHEN COOKING?
It really depends on the recipe you’re making on which mushrooms would be the best. However, with this baked mushroom rice, and most rice dishes, crimini mushrooms and white button mushrooms are the more common options. If you want to get fancy you could try a more exotic mushroom like shittake, oyster or chanterelle.
This is one of my favorite side dishes because it’s so easily turned into a main dish by tossing some cooked chicken or ground beef into it. I have often eaten it as a main dish without adding any protein because it’s just that good. It’s definitely a winner in this house and one of our first go-to side dishes.
MORE SIDE DISH RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Homemade Rice-A-Roni
- Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole
- Zucchini Gratin
- Broccoli with Cheese Sauce
- Stove Top Mac and Cheese
- 1/2 cup butter divided use
- 12 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup long grain rice uncooked
- 10 ounce can condensed French onion soup
- 10 ounce can condensed beef consomme
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large nonstick ovenproof skillet over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes or until tender and browned.
- Add the rice, French onion soup and beef consomme to the pan.
- Cut the remaining butter into slices and add it to the pan.
- Cover the pan and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover the pan and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and stir in the parsley, then serve.
I love trying new recipes for my family.
Can this recipe be doubled for larger dish
That should work fine!
Loved this tasty rice! I did it with the chopped spinach and it was good!
I made this tonight. I don’t have a nonstick pan like what the recipe calls for. I made it in my stainless steel deep saute pan and it came out wonderfully! My husband could have eaten more than what was available. They were loving the smells of the rice cooking as my husband grilled. I will absolutely make this again!! Thank you!!
Love, love, love this tasty rice! i”m a mushroom fan but my husband is not but he even ate this rice!
Ooh! I know the flavor of this rice is just short of amazing. Sounds and looks so yummy!!!
Looks delicious! I am a lover of rice, so I am always looking for quick ideas to put a spin on one of my favorite foods. Your reciepe looks simple and tasty. Thanks for sharing.
I eat rice atleast once a week but never have tried with mushroom! Next time I want to try this!
I love mushrooms, and this rice dish sounds delicious. And it’s easy enough to make on a weeknight or prepare a big batch and have leftovers. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
Glad to learn about this recipe. As an Asian, rice is our staple and sometimes I really run out of an idea. The good thing is mushrooms are added as these are great to combat cancer cell. I am trying out this soon! Another brilliant recipe!
This mushroom rice recipe looks delicious. I love mushrooms. I think I’ll give this recipe a try this weekend. Thanks for sharing!!
Looks a simple and easy recipe for the weekend. Can’t wait to try.
I love finding a new recipe to try. I’m always so scared I am going to mess it up somehow. This looks easy enough for me though. Thanks!
My kids would absolutely love these. This would disappear in no time at our house! This is my kind of weekend treat.
I’ve never heard of mushroom rice before but I am so intrigued. I can’t wait to try this recipe. I’ll make it this weekend when the whole family is home.
I haven’t taken mushrooms for a long time, this recipe provides the right combination of rice and mushrooms for a dish. Thanks.
5 stars for sure!!! I love mushrooms and the recipe is so easy to cook, thank you so much.
Oh my gosh I am drooling over here! That mushroom rice looks really flavorful and delicious. Thumbs up for this recipe!
Your recipe sounds very tasty. I love how versatile rice is it’s such a great ingredient.
I just loved it, I’m not only going to give it 5 stars. But, I’m going to share it with all my website’s followers on the social media. Thank you for giving me something useful to share it today!