This healthy cabbage soup is a mix of carrots, celery, bell peppers, cabbage and green beans, all simmered together in a savory broth. A quick and easy low calorie meal that’s full of flavor!
There’s nothing better than a hearty soup loaded with veggies, and this cabbage soup is always a great bet. It’s low in calories yet packed with nutrition and is ready in less than 30 minutes. Cabbage soup is the perfect light lunch or dinner for when you’re trying to follow a healthy diet.
How do you make cabbage soup?
This soup starts with carrots, onion, celery and garlic which are sauteed in a little olive oil. I really think the olive oil adds richness to the soup and is worth the calories. That being said, if you’re looking to make this soup as low calorie as possible, you can skip the olive oil and simply simmer everything in the broth.
A blend of red and green bell peppers, cabbage, tomatoes and green beans go into the pot and everything simmers until tender. Add a sprinkle of parsley and you’ll be ready to eat.
Tips for cabbage soup
- Cut all the vegetables into similar sizes so that they cook at the same rate. I prefer to have my veggies in large chunks for a heartier soup.
- I typically make this soup with chicken broth, but you can also make it with vegetable broth or beef broth.
- This soup keeps in the refrigerator for up to 4 days which makes it perfect for meal prep.
Cabbage soup variations
This soup is designed to be a low calorie meal, but you can add other ingredients if you’re looking to add more flavors.
- Protein: Try this soup with shredded chicken, ground turkey or extra lean ground beef.
- Starches: Add some potatoes or brown rice to the soup.
- Vegetables: You can use your favorite veggies for this soup, some great options include zucchini, broccoli, mushrooms, leeks and spinach.
Is cabbage soup good for weight loss?
Cabbage soup is a great way to get in your veggies and also happens to be very low calorie, which makes it a good option for a diet plan. Any broth based vegetable soup would be a nice choice if you’re trying to eat healthier and shed some pounds. Steer clear of soups that contain higher calorie ingredients such as butter, cream, pasta, bacon and cheese.
Slow cooker cabbage soup
This recipe can easily be adapted for use in the crock pot. Place all the ingredients except the parsley in a slow cooker and cook on low for 2-4 hours or high for 1-2 hours. Sprinkle with parsley, then serve.
I eat this soup all the time, it’s the absolute best way to get a hefty dose of veggies into your day and it also happens to taste great! Make a batch today and enjoy it all week long for a healthy boost.
More great soup recipes
Cabbage Soup Video
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup onion diced
- 1 cup carrots peeled, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup celery sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper cut into 1/2 inch pieces, seeds and core removed
- 1 green bell pepper cut into 1/2 inch pieces, seeds and core removed
- 3 cups cabbage coarsely chopped
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes do not drain
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup green beans cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic to the pot and cook for 30 seconds. Add the red and green peppers, cabbage, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and chicken broth to the pot.
- Bring to a simmer; cook for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add the green beans and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle with parsley, then serve.