This garlic butter chicken recipe features seared chicken and sauteed mushrooms, all in a flavorful butter, garlic and herb sauce. A super easy dinner option that always gets rave reviews from family and friends!
When I’m looking for a way to turn plain old chicken into something extraordinary, I turn to flavorful favorites such as chicken scampi, spatchcock chicken, and this simple yet satisfying garlic butter chicken.
I’m always adding more easy dinner recipes to my recipe repertoire, and this garlic butter chicken makes it onto our meal rotation almost every week. The combination of chicken and mushrooms with plenty of garlic and lemon just can’t be beat!
How do you make garlic butter chicken?
Start by cutting boneless skinless chicken thighs into bite sized pieces. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then sear it in a pan with a little olive oil until the chicken is golden brown. Remove the chicken from the pan and cover to keep warm. Add sliced mushrooms to the pan, and cook until they’re golden brown and tender. Return the chicken to the pan, and add fresh garlic, butter, Italian seasoning and lemon juice. Cook until the chicken is warmed through and everything is coated in the sauce. Sprinkle with parsley, then serve immediately and enjoy.
Tips for the perfect dish
- Cut your chicken into similar sized pieces so that they cook at the same rate.
- It’s important to cook the chicken in a single layer. If you add too much meat to the pan at once, the pieces will steam instead of sear, and you won’t get that golden brown crust.
- This chicken stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, which makes it great for meal prep. It can also be frozen for up to 2 months.
- I like to serve this dish over mashed potatoes or rice. If you’re watching your carb intake, you can try cauliflower rice or mashed cauliflower. I also serve a green vegetable on the side such as asparagus or green beans.
- You can use any type of mushrooms you like in this recipe. I typically go for white button mushrooms, but other great choices are portobello, cremini, oyster or chanterelle mushrooms.
Garlic butter chicken flavor variations
This chicken and mushrooms dish is fabulous as-is, but you can absolutely add other ingredients to customize the flavor profile to your tastes.
- Protein: Instead of chicken thighs, try diced chicken breast, sirloin steak or pork tenderloin. This recipe is also great with shrimp!
- Vegetables: Swap out the mushrooms for a different quick cooking vegetable such as asparagus, green beans, bell peppers, zucchini or broccoli.
- Flavorings: Amp up the flavor of the sauce by adding kalamata olives, parmesan cheese, sun dried tomatoes, white wine or shallots.
- Herbs: Instead of chopped parsley, try using chives, thyme, basil or green onions.
I love how easy and versatile this garlic butter chicken and mushrooms is – it’s sure to please both the kids and adults in your life!
More chicken recipes to try
Garlic Butter Chicken and Mushrooms Video
Garlic Butter Chicken and Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into bite sized pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter divided use
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken in a single layer in the pan; you may have to work in batches. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and cover to keep warm.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the pan. Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and golden brown.
- Return the chicken to the pan. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter and the Italian seasoning, then stir until the butter is melted.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the lemon juice and parsley, then serve.