This chicken pesto pasta is sauteed chicken, farfalle pasta and cherry tomatoes, all tossed in basil pesto and finished off with parmesan cheese. A quick and easy dinner option that always gets rave reviews!
Pasta is easy, inexpensive and kid friendly which means we eat it all the time at my house! Some of our favorite pasta recipes include creamy shrimp linguine, Pasta al Forno, pasta bolognese and this easy pesto pasta with chicken.
My family loves pasta and we typically eat it once a week (or more!). I get tired of plain old spaghetti in tomato sauce which is why I introduced this chicken pesto pasta to the kids, and it’s been a big hit! This pasta is super quick to make, and it’s really versatile too, there are so many options to change up the protein and veggies to keep things exciting. For more great pasta options, be sure to check out of list of 14 slow cooker pasta recipes!
Table of Contents
Chicken Pesto Pasta Ingredients
To make this recipe, you will need olive oil, chicken breasts, salt, black pepper, garlic, Italian seasoning, pasta, basil pesto, cherry tomatoes, parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.
How Do You Make Chicken Pesto Pasta?
Start by cooking diced chicken in a large skillet with olive oil, seasonings and garlic. Add cooked al dente pasta to the pan, then stir in the pesto sauce. Gently stir in halved cherry tomatoes, then add a sprinkle of fresh parsley and grated parmesan cheese. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Tips For The Perfect Pasta
- Be sure to cook your chicken in a single layer so that it gets a golden brown crust. If you overcrowd the pan, the chicken may steam instead of saute. It’s best to work in batches if your pan is not large enough to fit everything at once.
- You can use homemade or store bought pesto, whichever you prefer. I often use store bought pesto to save on time. Be sure to choose pesto from the refrigerator case rather than the shelf stable type.
- Any type of short pasta will work including penne, rotini, rigatoni or fusilli.
- This dish is hearty enough to serve on its own. If you’re looking for side dishes, try an Italian salad or a batch of garlic knots.
No fresh parsley on hand? Try using fresh basil or sliced green onions instead.
To make your own pesto for this recipe, place 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts in a food processor along with 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic and 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese. Pulse the ingredients until finely ground. Add 3 cups of fresh whole basil leaves to the food processor along with salt and pepper to taste. Turn the food processor on and slowly pour in 1/2 cup olive oil. Blend until a smooth sauce forms. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
Pesto pairs well with pasta that has ridges or grooves so that the oil based sauce can adhere to the noodles without sliding off. Some great options include penne, farfalle, rotini, rigatoni, or any other type of pasta with a textured exterior.
Pesto pasta contains cooked noodles, basil pesto and parmesan cheese. It may also include ingredients such as chicken, mozzarella cheese, tomatoes or fresh herbs.
Chicken Pesto Pasta Flavor Variations
This dish is fabulous as-is, but you can add other ingredients to customize the flavors to your tastes.
- Protein: Swap out the chicken breast for chicken thighs, grilled shrimp, white beans or Italian sausage.
- Vegetables: Feel free to add other veggies to the mix such as cooked zucchini, sauteed mushrooms or bell peppers.
- Cheese: Instead of parmesan, try a different type of cheese such as fresh mozzarella balls or grated fontina.
- Flavorings: You can add extra ingredients such as red pepper flakes, toasted pine nuts, heavy cream, lemon juice, or even almonds or walnuts.
Once you try this chicken pesto pasta, you’ll find yourself making it on a regular basis – it’s just that good!
Chicken Pesto Pasta Video
Love This Recipe?
Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card below & a review in the comments section further down the page.
Chicken Pesto Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 12 ounces short pasta such as farfalle
- 1 cup basil pesto look for it in the refrigerated section
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley can also use basil
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add salt to taste. Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat.
- Place the chicken in the pan and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked through. Add the garlic and Italian seasoning and cook for 1 minute.
- Drain the pasta and pour it into the pan with the chicken. Add the pesto and toss to coat evenly.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and gently fold them into the pasta.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and parsley. then serve.