This recipe for butternut squash pasta is linguine in a creamy butternut squash sauce, topped with chicken, bacon and herbs. An easy and delicious dinner that’s perfect for fall!
Who would have thought that butternut squash puree would make the most luxuriously creamy pasta sauce? This pasta is my favorite way to eat butternut squash!
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FamilyPasta Time #CollectiveBias
Pasta is my go-to meal choice around here these days, partially because I know that my entire family will happily eat it any night of the week! I took our usual favorite, chicken pasta, and gave it some fall flavors to create this butternut squash pasta. Best of all, this meal is on the table in less than half an hour, and the delightfully creamy sauce is made with just 3 ingredients! How can you go wrong with that?
How do you make butternut squash pasta?
For this butternut squash pasta, you’ll need butternut squash puree. Now, on a busy weeknight when I’m scrambling to get dinner on the table, I just don’t have time to cook and puree butternut squash. I discovered frozen squash puree at the grocery store, which is a HUGE timesaver, simply thaw and go! If you’d like to make your own butternut squash puree, simply steam the cubed and peeled squash, then give it a whir in the food processor until it’s smooth. You can even freeze some of your homemade puree for another night. I’ve made this pasta with both fresh and frozen puree, and it’s fabulous either way.
I use Barilla® Classic Blue Box linguine pasta in this recipe, it comes out perfectly every time! You could use any type of long Barilla pasta, such as spaghetti or fettuccine if that’s what you have on hand. I always have a few boxes of Barilla pasta in my pantry, it’s an essential kitchen staple for me and provides balanced nutrition for our healthy lifestyle. I love when I can feed my family happily and healthfully!
This butternut squash pasta recipe is so simple to make. The cooked pasta is mixed with a combination of butternut squash puree, a touch of cream and freshly grated parmesan cheese for a creamy and flavorful sauce that the whole family will adore. The pasta is topped with sliced chicken, bacon and a sprinkling of parsley. You can either cook up some chicken breasts while the pasta is boiling, or use leftover or rotisserie chicken for an even speedier meal.
We will be eating this butternut squash pasta all throughout the colder months, it’s the perfect way to showcase winter squash! The flavor combination of the Barilla pasta, creamy sauce, and savory chicken and bacon just can’t be beat!
More pasta recipes you’ll enjoy
Butternut Squash Pasta Video
Butternut Squash Pasta with Chicken
- 10 ounces dry Barilla Classic Blue Box linguine pasta
- 1 pound of cooked chicken breasts (grilled, roasted, rotisserie, etc), sliced
- 1/2 cup cooked crumbled bacon
- 1 1/2 cups butternut squash puree (fresh frozen or canned). If using frozen puree, thaw before use.
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil; prepare the pasta according to package instructions, cooked to al dente.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid, and return it to its cooking pot.
- Place the pot over medium heat and add the butternut squash puree, heavy cream, parmesan cheese. Stir to coat the pasta evenly; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce is heated through and is starting to thicken.
- If you prefer a thinner sauce, add the cooking liquid, one tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
- Arrange the chicken and bacon over the top of the pasta and sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately.