This recipe for Cajun shrimp and sausage pasta is sauteed shrimp and smoked sausage with colorful vegetables, all served over a creamy pasta. Dinner’s ready in less than 30 minutes with plenty of bold flavors!
Looking for something a little different for dinner tonight? This Cajun shrimp pasta is a must-try, it’s quick, flavorful and tastes like it came from a restaurant.
Pasta is always a hit at my house and this Cajun shrimp and sausage pasta is no exception. Fresh veggies, succulent shrimp and smoked sausage served over a creamy pasta – all of my favorite things! This pasta is super easy to make, and mild enough that the whole family can enjoy it.
How to make Cajun shrimp and sausage pasta
The first step in the process is to put up a pot of water to boil for the pasta. You can use any long pasta like linguine, fettuccine or spaghetti. While the pasta is boiling, it’s time to cook the meat abd veggies and make the creamy sauce.
I use a medium sized shrimp and a mild smoked sausage. Andouille sausage would be a more authentic choice but it tends to be a bit spicier which is not appreciated by my kids. After the pasta is cooked, it gets tossed in the super simple cream sauce then topped with the shrimp and sausage mixture along with some fresh parsley.
I went with both yellow and red bell peppers just because it looks prettier – you can use whatever bell pepper variety you prefer. Not all Cajun seasoning is made equal – some have a bit more heat than others. I started with a fairly conservative two teaspoons but you can most definitely add more if you prefer.
This Cajun shrimp pasta is absolutely perfect for a busy weeknight but it’s also impressive enough to serve for a special occasion. Add a loaf of bread and a side salad and you’ve got a feast!
This dish has quickly become part of our regular dinner rotation, in fact I’ve started keeping both shrimp and sausage in the freezer so that I can make it any time I want. It’s fast, filling, pretty to look at and a crowd pleaser – what more could you ask for?!
More pasta recipes
- Chicken and Broccoli Pasta
- Caprese Pasta
- Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
- Tuscan Chicken Pasta
- Shrimp Pesto Pasta
Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Pasta
- 1 pound large shrimp you can either remove the tails or leave them on for a more elegant presentation, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons butter divided use
- 8 ounces smoked sausage such as andouille or kielbasa cut into slices
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning or more to taste
- 1/2 cup yellow onion minced
- 1 cup sliced bell peppers I used red and yellow
- 10 ounces linguine pasta other long pasta varieties will also work
- 1/3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; add the pasta and cook according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and peppers and cook for 4-6 minutes or until softened. Season with 1 teaspoon of the Cajun seasoning.
- Add the sausage and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Season the shrimp with the remaining teaspoon of Cajun seasoning and add them to the pan, cooking for 2-3 minutes or until pink and opaque.
- Drain the pasta and return to the pot it cooked in. Turn the heat on medium high and add the cream and butter along with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until sauce has started to thicken. Stir in parmesan cheese.
- Place the shrimp and sausage mixture on top of the pasta and sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately.
This post was originally published on March 29, 2016 and was updated January 14, 2018 with new content.