This chicken parmesan pasta is sauteed chicken and penne pasta tossed in marinara sauce and covered with cheese, then baked to gooey perfection. An easy dinner option that’s a total crowd pleaser!
If you love classic chicken parmesan, you’ll adore this simple yet satisfying baked pasta dish. This versatile recipe can be made in advance and is easy to double or triple to feed a crowd.
Pasta is one of those foods that always hits the spot, don’t you think? This chicken parmesan pasta is total comfort food that’s quick to make with familiar flavors that both kids and adults love.
How to make chicken parmesan pasta
This recipe starts with cut up chicken breast, onions and garlic, which are all sauteed in a pan. The chicken is coated in Italian seasoning which is typically a combination of garlic powder and dried herbs like oregano, basil and parsley. If you don’t have Italian seasoning, you can substitute equal parts of the garlic and dried herbs to make your own.
The chicken mixture is mixed with marinara sauce (choose your favorite!). fresh basil and cooked penne pasta, then spooned into a baking dish.
You can’t have chicken parmesan without the cheese! The pasta gets topped with both shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheeses before it goes into the oven.
This chicken parmesan pasta can be assembled up to 8 hours before you plan to serve it, then baked right before it’s time to eat. If I know I’m going to have a really busy day, I often prepare my pasta in the morning, stick it in the fridge, then pull it out at dinner time for a no fuss meal.
Try this baked pasta for dinner tonight, you’ll certainly be glad you did!
More pasta recipes
- Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Pasta
- Caprese Pasta
- Chicken and Broccoli Pasta
- Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
- Tuscan Chicken Pasta
Chicken Parmesan Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 12 ounces dry penne pasta
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 9"x13" pan with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and cook the penne pasta according to package directions.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened.
- Add the chicken, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to the pan. Cook for 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Pour the marinara sauce and chopped basil into the pan and stir to combine.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the 9"x13" dish. Pour the chicken and sauce mixture over the pasta and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese over the pasta mixture.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted, then serve.
- Make ahead instructions: Place the assembled pasta dish covered in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours. Uncover, then bake until pasta is warm and cheese is melted. It will take an additional 10-15 minutes past the bake time in the recipe.