This recipe for sun dried tomato pasta is penne pasta with sauteed chicken and spinach, tossed in a creamy garlic sauce. An easy dinner that the whole family will love!
This sun dried tomato pasta with chicken isn’t the fanciest dish on the planet, but it’s pure comfort food that’s easy to make and ready in 30. How can you go wrong with creamy, cheesy pasta and chicken?! Think along the lines of a chicken alfredo, but with an extra flavor boost from the spinach and sun dried tomatoes.
How do you make sun dried tomato pasta?
This sun dried tomato pasta uses cubed chicken breast, which gets sauteed to a golden brown while you’re waiting for the pasta to cook. You could also use leftover cooked chicken or even rotisserie chicken if you’re really short on time. I always use sun dried tomatoes that are packed in oil, they come in a jar and are typically near the olives at the grocery store. I feel that the oil packed tomatoes have a better flavor and texture than the type that are located with the dried fruit.
Tips for sun dried tomato pasta
- In a hurry? Use pre-cooked rotisserie chicken cut into cubes to save time.
- You can use any short pasta for this dish, I recommend penne, rotini, fusilli or farfalle.
- No spinach on hand? Try a different type of green such as kale or escarole.
- You can add other ingredients to mix up the flavors in this dish. Some of my favorite additions include caramelized onions, kalamata olives, sauteed mushrooms or marinated artichoke hearts.
This sun dried tomato pasta got a big thumbs up from the kids – some of my pickier eaters avoided the green stuff but they loved the creamy pasta and chicken combination. Serve this dish with a salad or perhaps a loaf of bread and you’ve got diner in no time!
More great pasta dishes
Sun Dried Tomato Pasta with Chicken
- 10 ounces penne pasta
- 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup oil packed sun dried tomatoes drained
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; prepare pasta according to package directions.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the chicken for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned and just cooked through.Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the flour to the pan and stir to coat the chicken. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the broth to the pan and bring to a simmer. Add the heavy cream and cook until just thickened, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese, sun dried tomatoes and spinach and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the pasta and pour it into the pan with the chicken mixture. Stir to coat the pasta in the sauce and serve immediately.