These bacon wrapped asparagus bundles are an easy yet elegant side dish that’s sure to garner rave reviews! The asparagus stalks are wrapped in bacon, coated in a brown sugar glaze and roasted to perfection.
Asparagus is delicious on its own, but when you add bacon to the mix you’ve got a culinary combination that’s totally irresistible! These asparagus bundles are so good that sometimes I serve them as a main course instead of a side dish.
Asparagus is all over the stores right now and we can’t get enough of it! Two of my three kids will happily eat it, which means it’s on the dinner table at least once a week. This bacon wrapped asparagus is our absolute favorite, who can resist the added allure of bacon? Not me!
How to make bacon wrapped asparagus
This recipe starts with fresh asparagus stalks. I find that the thicker asparagus stalks work best here because if you use the thin ones, they may get mushy by the time the bacon cooks through. I bundle up 4-5 pieces of asparagus, wrap them in bacon, then add some seasoned butter and into the oven they go!
This recipe works best with regular cut bacon; thick cut bacon takes a lot longer to cook and you run the risk of your asparagus overcooking. Another option is to par-cook the bacon, then wrap the asparagus.
The final result is the best combination of savory asparagus, salty bacon and a touch of sweetness.
What temperature do you cook bacon wrapped asparagus?
Bacon wrapped asparagus cooks at 400 degrees F, which is the perfect temperature to ensure that the bacon gets crispy and the asparagus roasts rather than steams.
How long to cook bacon wrapped asparagus in the oven?
Its important to watch your cook time so that your asparagus doesn’t get overly soft. I find it takes about 15-20 minutes to get that perfection combination of crisp bacon and tender asparagus.
If you’re an asparagus fan, you MUST try this recipe. I love it so much that I can make a whole meal out of it! This is a great side dish for a special occasion because the bundles look so elegant even though they’re quite simple to make.
This recipe is written to serve 4 people which is an average sized bunch of asparagus, but you can double or even triple the recipe if you’re feeding a crowd!
More asparagus recipes
- Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
- Lemon Asparagus Pasta
- Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry
- Chicken Madeira
- Chicken Primavera
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- 1 lb thick asparagus stalks trimmed
- 4 slices bacon do not use thick cut
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Divide the asparagus stalks into 4 bundles. Tightly wrap one slice of bacon around each bundle.
- In a small bowl mix together the butter, garlic powder, brown sugar and pepper.
- Arrange the asparagus bundles on a baking sheet and drizzle the butter mixture over the top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until bacon is crispy. Serve, sprinkled with parsley if desired.