This chicken parmesan pasta is sauteed chicken and penne pasta tossed in marinara sauce and covered with cheese, then baked to gooey perfection. An easy dinner option that’s a total crowd pleaser!
If you love classic chicken parmesan, you’ll adore this simple yet satisfying baked pasta dish. This versatile recipe can be made in advance and is easy to double or triple to feed a crowd.
Pasta is one of those foods that always hits the spot, don’t you think? This chicken parmesan pasta is total comfort food that’s quick to make with familiar flavors that both kids and adults love.
How to make chicken parmesan pasta
This recipe starts with cut up chicken breast, onions and garlic, which are all sauteed in a pan. The chicken is coated in Italian seasoning which is typically a combination of garlic powder and dried herbs like oregano, basil and parsley. If you don’t have Italian seasoning, you can substitute equal parts of the garlic and dried herbs to make your own.
The chicken mixture is mixed with marinara sauce (homemade marinara sauce or store bought both work!). fresh basil and cooked penne pasta, then spooned into a baking dish.
You can’t have chicken parmesan without the cheese! The pasta gets topped with both shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheeses before it goes into the oven.
This chicken parmesan pasta can be assembled up to 8 hours before you plan to serve it, then baked right before it’s time to eat. If I know I’m going to have a really busy day, I often prepare my pasta in the morning, stick it in the fridge, then pull it out at dinner time for a no fuss meal.
I like to serve my chicken parmesan pasta with a side of bread, these garlic knots are our favorite! I also serve a green veggie like broccoli or asparagus to round out the meal.
Try this baked pasta for dinner tonight, you’ll certainly be glad you did!
More pasta recipes
- Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Pasta
- Caprese Pasta
- Chicken and Broccoli Pasta
- Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
- Tuscan Chicken Pasta
Chicken Parmesan Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 12 ounces dry penne pasta
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 9"x13" pan with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and cook the penne pasta according to package directions.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened.
- Add the chicken, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to the pan. Cook for 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Pour the marinara sauce and chopped basil into the pan and stir to combine.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the 9"x13" dish. Pour the chicken and sauce mixture over the pasta and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese over the pasta mixture.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted, then serve.
- Make ahead instructions: Place the assembled pasta dish covered in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours. Uncover, then bake until pasta is warm and cheese is melted. It will take an additional 10-15 minutes past the bake time in the recipe.
Super yummy! Are you sure it’s only 300 calories per serving though? When I calculated it, it came out to 663 calories per serving!
My friend loves chicken and pasta so I thought this would be a perfect recipe for her birthday. I got compliments from everyone and people asking for the recipe. It’s so simple to make!
How much marinara sauce? Recipe calls for one jar—how many ounces or cups?
I use a 24 ounce jar!
This looks delicious!! I want to try it tonight. Can you use spaghetti sauce instead of marinara? It’s all I have on hand
Yes that’s fine!
Can this be frozen? If so, should I bake first then bake again to reheat? Or would it be better to freeze uncooked?
Follow the recipe through step 7, then freeze it!
Thank you so much for the quick reply! Really looking forward to this recipe.
Thank you so much for the recipe, it is AMAZING!! What sides would you suggest with it? Do you have the recipes for any of them? That would be awesome
I serve this with a green veggie such as roasted broccoli: https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/parmesan-roasted-broccoli/ or sauteed asparagus: https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/sauteed-asparagus/
Even my 2-year-old daughter finished her portion. Thank you for a delicious and easy recipe!
So happy to hear you enjoyed it, I appreciate you reporting back!
Thanks for this recipe, Sara. Made it last night and it was delicious 😀 -joe
Glad to hear you enjoyed it, thanks for reporting back!
I made this last weekend, and it was delicious. Will definitely be added to the family favourites list
So glad you enjoyed it, thanks for reporting back!
Hi, thanks for the fabulous recipe. If I made my own marinara sauce how many ml would I need. We have several different sized jars of tomato pasta sauce here in UK. What is the size you use in the recipe – thanks
You’re looking for about 2-3 cups of sauce!
Ok thanks for replying
This has become a family favorite!
Love this easy, hearty dish! I’m sure it wouldn’t last long in our house…because…chicken and pasta! Already pinned this one…thanks for the inspiration!
Your chicken parmesan pasta looks so delicious!! I love that you can make it ahead! How convenient is that? I can’t wait to make your recipe! Hubby is going to be so happy since he loves chicken parm pasta!!
I always forget that I can bake pasta! I don’t know why, but it hasn’t occurred to me to make baked pasta in forever. Thanks for the delicious looking reminder!
Oh, man, my mouth is watering!!! This is a dish the whole picky family will love! Pure comfort food.
This is such a people pleasing meal, Sara, I could live for a week on it if I didn’t have to share 🙂
Ugh, I just want to dive my face straight into that dish of heaven. Looks SO good!!
One of our family’s favorite dinners!
I always have penne in the pantry and cooked chicken in the fridge for last minute meals. I love that this can be on the table in no time especially when the end of the day arrives and I am wondering what I am making for dinner. Here’s is the solution 🙂
This is one of my favourite pasta dishes – so comforting. We add some spinach too.