This baked tortellini recipe is cheese tortellini in a hearty meat sauce, all topped with cheese and baked to perfection. A super easy dinner that the whole family will love!
Baked pasta is classic comfort food that’s always a crowd pleaser. This version uses tortellini in a homemade meat sauce and can easily be doubled to serve a large group.
I’ve been adding some new dinner options to our menu rotation lately, and this baked tortellini definitely fits the bill! It’s cheesy, hearty, kid pleasing, and so very easy to make. All you need is a handful of ingredients and about 15 minutes of prep time to have this comfort food classic on your table.
How do you make baked tortellini?
This baked tortellini recipe starts with Three Bridges Triple Cheese Tortellini and Heirloom Marinara Sauce. Three Bridges pastas and sauces are available at natural food and grocery retailers nationwide. I found Three Bridges at my local Safeway, but they’re also available at Raley’s, Target and more.
The first step in the process is to bring a pot of water to boil. While the water is boiling, I sauté some diced onion and ground beef. After the tortellini goes into the pot, I add the Heirloom Marinara Sauce to the beef mixture.
After the tortellini goes into the baking dish, simply top with shredded mozzarella, bake, then serve!
How long does it take to cook frozen tortellini?
I typically make this dish with fresh tortellini, but you can also use frozen tortellini with excellent results. Fresh tortellini takes about 6-7 minutes to cook, and frozen tortellini takes 10-11 minutes to cook.
My whole family loves this baked tortellini, and I love how easy it is to make. It’s the perfect meal for a busy weeknight, or you can make a double batch and serve it up at a potluck! Regardless of how you serve it, it’s sure to be a hit with both kids and adults alike.
More pasta dishes you’ll love
- Taco Pasta
- Chicken and Broccoli Pasta
- Chicken Parmesan Pasta
- Chicken Pesto Pasta
- Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Pasta
Baked Tortellini Video
Baked Tortellini with Meat Sauce
- 18 ounces Three Bridges Triple Cheese Tortellini (2 9-ounce packages or 1 family size package)
- 1 15-ounce container Three Bridges Heirloom Marinara Sauce
- cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1 pound ground beef I use 90% lean
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 6 cup or larger baking dish with cooking spray. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Cook the tortellini according to package directions.
- While you wait for the water to boil and tortellini to cook, heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened.
- Add the ground beef to the pan and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook, breaking up the meat with a spatula, until done, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Pour the marinara sauce into the pan with the beef and heat until warmed through.
- Drain the pasta and return to the pot. Pour the sauce over the pasta and toss to coat.
- Spoon the pasta into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the cheese over the top. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and starting to brown.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
This post is sponsored by Three Bridges. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Dinner at the Zoo possible!
Wouldn’t the tortellini cook in the oven while baking??
You could try it that way but I think you’d need to cook them longer and possibly add more liquid since the tortellini will need to absorb liquid to get tender.
I just put this together for a meal tonight. Smelling awesome and hoping it tastes as good as it smells. I will have to limit this as I am diabetic but it looks worth it!
I don’t usually post reviews on recipes, but I had to make an exception here. I have made this recipe for my family countless times now! I use ground turkey instead of beef and I probably add a little more mozzarella. It’s my kids favorite meal! They will fight over the leftovers on the rare occasion we have anything left over!