These bacon wrapped smokies are cocktail sausages wrapped in bacon, then coated in brown sugar and spices and baked to perfection. An easy appetizer option that’s great for feeding a large crowd.
Bacon wrapped smokies are a classic appetizer for good reason – they’re hearty, fun to eat and totally delicious! My version uses a sweet and savory spice rub to really take the flavors to the next level.
How do you make bacon wrapped smokies?
Start by cutting your bacon slices into thirds. Wrap each piece of bacon around a little smokie, and roll it in brown sugar and spices. Secure the bacon to the sausages by using toothpicks. Bake the smokies until the bacon is crispy. Add a sprinkle of parsley, then serve and enjoy.
Tips for the perfect bacon wrapped smokies
- Any flavor of small cocktail sausages will work. I’ve used mini chicken apple sausages with great results. You can also cut full sized hot dogs or sausages into smaller pieces and use them if you prefer.
- Do not use thick cut bacon for this recipe. Thick cut bacon takes a lot longer to cook through and become crispy.
- You can serve these bacon wrapped smokies as is, or add a sauce on the side such as BBQ sauce or ketchup.
- These sausages are best served hot from the oven. You can store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or on the stove top until the bacon is crisp.
- You can leave the toothpicks in for serving, or remove the toothpicks for a more elegant presentation.
Are little smokies already cooked?
Little smokies are pre-cooked when you purchase them. In this recipe, you’re simply reheating the sausages in the oven, as well as getting the bacon cooked through.
These bacon wrapped little smokies are delicious as-is, but you can change up the flavor profile if you prefer a different flavor.
- Mexican Style: Use 1/2 cup brown sugar along with 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder. You can use hot chili powder if you prefer a little spice.
- Cajun Style: Mix the brown sugar with 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning.
- BBQ Style: Try coating your smokies in my homemade BBQ rub, or mix 1-2 teaspoons of store bought rub into 1/2 cup of brown sugar. You can also baste the smokies with BBQ saucce as they cook.
I love how easy this recipe is to make, and the end result is a sweet and smoky snack that will satisfy even the biggest appetites. While this dish is typically served as an appetizer, I’ve even been known to serve these little delights as a main course with mashed potatoes or rice and a green vegetable on the side.
More delicious appetizer ideas
Bacon Wrapped Smokies Video
Bacon Wrapped Smokies
- 12 ounces little smokies
- 1 pound bacon do not use thick cut bacon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar I use light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a sheet pan with cooking spray.
- Place the brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper in a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Cut each slice of bacon into thirds.
- Wrap each little smokie in a piece of bacon, then roll the smokie in the brown sugar mixture.
- Place a toothpick through the little smokie to secure the bacon.
- Repeat the process with the remaining smokies. Place them all on the sheet pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Flip the smokies over, then bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until bacon is crispy.
- Place the smokies on a serving plate. Remove the toothpicks if desired. Sprinkle with parsley, then serve.