This taco dip is a creamy layer topped with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, olives, cheese and other taco toppings. A quick and easy appetizer recipe that can be on the table in just 10 minutes!
When I’m entertaining, I look for quick and easy party snacks such as caprese skewers, potato skins, and this colorful and festive taco dip.
Tacos are a fun and festive food that are a welcome addition to any party menu. But do you know what’s even easier than making tacos? This creamy and delicious taco dip! It takes just minutes to put together, and can be customized in so many different ways.
How do you make taco dip?
First beat softened cream cheese in a mixer. When the cream cheese is fluffy, add in sour cream and taco seasoning. This mixture is the base of the dip. Spread it into a dish and add on toppings like lettuce, shredded cheese, tomatoes, olives and green onions. Serve the dip at room temperature or chilled, with tortilla chips on the side.
Tips for taco dip
- To make the dip a little healthier, you can use low fat cream cheese and sour cream. With all the toppings on the dip, there is little flavor difference between using low fat and regular dairy products.
- You can use hot taco seasoning for more of a spicy kick or add in a little hot sauce to taste.
- Before you beat your cream cheese in the mixer, make sure the cream cheese is soft so it doesn’t get lumpy. Soften the cream cheese by letting it sit at room temperature, or microwave it in 15 second intervals.
- Use freshly grated cheese for the topping. Bagged pre-shredded cheese can be dry and may not be as flavorful.
- For the shredded lettuce, romaine or iceberg are the most common lettuce choices. You could also shred some butter lettuce if you have it on hand.
- I like to layer the dip with the creamy base first, then add cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, olives and green onions in that order. Placing the cheese between the lettuce and the creamy base helps because the cheese provides a surface to grab the lettuce and other toppings.
There are many other toppings you can add to customize this dip to your taste. Here are some ideas for additional toppings.
- Veggies: You can add extra vegetables such as diced avocado, minced red onion, corn kernels or roasted green chilies.
- Garnishes: For a little extra flavor try some chopped cilantro or pickled jalapenos on top of the dip.
- Cheese: You can use a variety of different cheeses such as Monterey Jack, cheddar or Colby. A sprinkle of cotija cheese would also be a nice addition.
- Protein: For a heartier dip, try topping the dip with black beans, pinto beans, shredded chicken or ground beef.
How long does taco dip last?
Taco dip lasts in the refrigerator for 3 days. Since there is sour cream and cream cheese in the recipe, I would not serve the dip after 3 days. Keep in mind that the lettuce can wilt over time as it sits on the dip, so in my opinion, it’s best to serve the dip soon after it’s prepared. If you want to make this dip in advance, I’d recommend preparing the creamy base ahead of time, then adding the toppings at the last minute right before serving.
This taco dip is a quick and easy way to enjoy Mexican flavors in a fun and festive appetizer. This dip is perfect for parties, watching the game or for an anytime snack.
More fabulous Mexican recipes
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese I use a combination of cheddar and Monterey Jack.
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced olives
- 2 tablespoons green onions sliced
- tortilla chips for serving
- Place the cream cheese in the bowl of a mixer. Beat for 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the sour cream and beat until well combined. Add the taco seasoning and mix for another 30 seconds.
- Spread the creamy mixture into the bottom of a 9 inch dish.
- Sprinkle the cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, olives and green onions over the creamy layer.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips.
If I added ground beef does it go on top of the creamy layer then the rest of the toppings?
Yes that will work!
This dip is so amazing we couldn’t stop eating it!