This Cajun shrimp dip is a blend of shrimp, peppers, seasonings and three types of cheese, all baked together to hot and bubbly perfection. The perfect party dip that’s sure to please any crowd!
You can never go wrong with a cheesy dip when you’re entertaining, I typically serve hot crab dip, chicken Alfredo dip or this amazingly delicious shrimp dip.
I do a lot of entertaining, and I’m always looking for new ways to serve up the classic hot cheese dip. This shrimp dip is my new favorite, with loads of chopped shrimp, veggies and plenty of gooey melted cheese. Best of all, it takes just minutes to put together!
How do you make shrimp dip?
This dip starts with whole shrimp, which are coarsely chopped and cooked with bell peppers and garlic. The shrimp mixture is combined with cream cheese, sour cream, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese and then baked to perfection. Add some bread, crackers and veggies on the side, then serve and enjoy!
How to Peel shrimp
This recipe calls for raw shrimp. You can sometimes buy your shrimp already peeled. If the shrimp come with the shells on, you’ll need to remove them yourself. To peel shrimp, it’s easiest to start at the bottom where the legs are attached. Carefully pull off the entire shell. You’ll also need to devein your shrimp, which you can do by running a small knife down the back of each shrimp and removing the dark vein. If you’ve purchased pre-peeled shrimp you can skip all of these steps and just proceed with the recipe.
Tips for Shrimp Dip
- I like to leave a few shrimp whole with the tails on to add at the end as a garnish, although that’s an optional step.
- You can use any color of bell peppers that you like, I typically do a combination of red and green peppers because it looks the nicest.
- This dip can be assembled and stored in the fridge up to 8 hours before you plan to bake it. You may need to add a few minutes on to the baking time to compensate for starting with a cold dip.
- I typically use medium size shrimp, but smaller shrimp are more economical and will give you the same flavors.
Shrimp Dip Variations
I typically make this dip as the recipe is written, but sometimes I add other ingredients to switch things up a bit!
- Protein: You can add chopped cooked bacon, scallops, smoked salmon or crab to the dip.
- Vegetables: Other great veggie options are finely diced cooked onion, corn kernels or sauteed mushrooms.
- Cheese: While I often use mozzarella cheese, other cheese varieties such as cheddar, Monterey Jack or fontina are also delicious.
How long does shrimp dip last in the fridge?
This dip contains seafood which is highly perishable. Therefore, I recommend storing this dip in the fridge for a maximum of two days.
Shrimp dip always gets rave reviews from family and friends, that combination of tender seafood and creamy cheese just can’t be beat!
More great dip recipes
Cajun Shrimp Dip
- 1 lb raw shrimp peeled and deveined (leave the tails on 3 shrimp for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup red and/or green bell pepper finely diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese finely grated
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided use
- 2 tablespoons green onions sliced
- diced red and green bell pepper for garnish optional
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a small skillet or baking dish with cooking spray.
- Set aside the 3 whole shrimp with tails on for garnish. Chop the remaining shrimp into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Heat the butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the shrimp, including the 3 reserved shrimp. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers, garlic and Cajun seasoning to the pan. Cook for an additional 2 minutes or until shrimp are pink and opaque. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the whole shrimp from the pan and set aside.
- Pour the shrimp and pepper mixture into a bowl along with the cream cheese, sour cream, lemon juice, parmesan cheese and 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Stir to combine gently.
- Spread the shrimp mixture into the prepared pan and top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until dip is golden brown and bubbling.
- Garnish with reserved shrimp, peppers and green onions, then serve.
Can this be made in advance? Maybe put it together, and put in fridge until ready to cook?
Yes that would be fine!
I made this for a Mardi Gras party my friends were having. I thought it might be a little runny when it first came out of the oven, but after cooling ten minutes it was fine. People just stood in front of the dip and couldn’t get enough of it!. A real keeper recipe for sure.
My husband said this was the best dip he has EVER had!!! It was absolutely amazing!!! I added some crawfish because we had some leftovers from last weekend!!!
Turned out great! Was so flavorful and just spicy enough! Loved it!
This is mouthwatering. I just need some chips!
What is Cajun seasoning? It’s not available near me. What would I use to make my own?
Cajun seasoning should be available in the spice area of most major grocery stores. You can make your own for this recipe by combining a little paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and dried thyme or oregano.
What a wonderful dip! Tastes absolutely superb
This looks amazing, my boys will love this too!!
This sounds to be such a fancy appetizer! I think my family will appreciate it!
this looks insane!!! I don’t eat shrimp but maybe I could sub for mushrooms?? yummmm
This looks incredible, I am taking it to bookclub next week!
This shrimp dip is SUPER easy to make and so darn delicious! Perfect for all of your upcoming holiday gatherings!
This shrimp dip is so delicious and perfect for entertaining! Love all the flavors in it!
Give me crackers or give me a spoon – I”m not picky! I want to dive into a bowlful of this now! Making this ASAP!!
You say “shrimp”, I say “yes”. ALWAYS. Add some peppers and some incredible seasoning, and one of my favorite dishes is ready. Such a delicious recipe!
So great that you can make this ahead of time. Definitely easier getting ready for a party already having it done.