This rich and creamy slow cooker hot chocolate is perfect for any party or special occasion. Don’t forget the marshmallows!
This is the ultimate treat for hot chocolate lovers, you’ll never want to use a dry mix again!
We’ve got this strange fall weather thing going on in California where it’s freezing cold in the morning and blazing hot by afternoon. I know that by next month all those weather extremes will give way to cooler temperatures, and what better for a cold day than a piping hot mug of hot chocolate? This slow cooker hot chocolate puts those little packets of powder to shame, it’s rich and creamy and perfect for a party. All it takes is 5 minutes of prep time, which is really not much more time than you’d spend making a cup of instant cocoa!
How to make hot chocolate from scratch
This crock pot hot chocolate recipe is pretty simple, it’s a combination of milk, cream, condensed milk, cocoa and chocolate chips. If you’re looking for a super creamy hot chocolate, use whole milk; if you’re looking to cut a few calories, 1% or 2% is fine, but I would recommend against using skim milk. I like to use a combination of semisweet and milk chocolate chips here, but you could use one or the other instead of both if you prefer. The toppings for this hot chocolate are up to you, but for me, marshmallows are always a must! I like to make a large batch of this slow cooker hot chocolate for the holidays, and leave it on the warm setting with a ladle and some mugs. Guests can help themselves and I put out a toppings bar with marshmallows, whipped cream, sprinkles, chocolate chips and candy canes. It’s a fun little indulgence and the best possible way to warm up on a chilly day.
When you first take the lid off your slow cooker, all the chocolate chips will have melted to the bottom. Simply stir, stir, stir and after a few minutes your hot chocolate will come together into a smooth and creamy drink. You can even add a holiday twist to this recipe by adding a few drops of peppermint extract and garnishing with candy canes. I’ve done this before and it’s a big hit!
Other holiday recipes you might like
- Buckeye Peanut Butter Balls
- Christmas Crack Saltine Toffee
- Christmas Wreath Cookies
- Christmas Cookie Dough Dip
- Peppermint Bark Cookies
Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder sifted
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 7 cups milk use whole milk for the creamiest hot chocolate!
- 1 cup heavy cream can use half and half, but cream gives the best results
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Marshmallows, whipped cream, chocolate chips etc. for garnish
- Place the cocoa powder, condensed milk, heavy cream, milk, vanilla extract, semisweet chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips in a slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cook on LOW for 2 hours. Stir well until thoroughly mixed. Turn the slow cooker to the KEEP WARM setting until you're ready to serve the hot chocolate. Garnish with marshmallows and/or whipped cream if desired.