This post has been sponsored by MARS, Pillsbury, and Ziploc. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
This recipe for peppermint brownies is fudgy chocolate squares topped with cream cheese frosting and chopped candy canes. The perfect holiday treat!
I can’t believe that the holiday season is already upon us! One of my favorite holiday traditions is the annual baking party I host at my house every year. My friends and I get together, much on appetizers, bake plenty of treats, then package them up to give as gifts to family and friends. This year we’ve got these easy and delicious peppermint brownies on our menu, and I think everyone is going to love them!
I picked up everything to make these peppermint brownies at Target, including Pillsbury Classic Brownie Mix, Dove Chocolate Gifts, Ziploc Holiday Bags and Ziploc Holiday Containers to use for gift giving. Using a brownie mix for this recipe is so convenient, and I love that the brownies come out perfect every time! I add a drop of peppermint extract to add a festive holiday flavor to these brownies. I use a small amount of extract, because a little goes a long way in this case! You can use peppermint oil instead of peppermint extract if you’ve already got that in your pantry.
You can bake up your brownies in advance, and store them in the fridge until you’re ready to decorate them. I decorate these peppermint brownies with a rosette of cream cheese frosting, crushed candy canes and Dove Chocolate Gifts. To make a rosette of cream cheese frosting, you’ll need a piping bag and a large star tip. If you don’t have a piping bag or tip, you can use put your frosting inside a gallon sized Ziploc bag and snip one corner of the bag to pipe the frosting onto the brownies. It really creates such a polished look to decorate each individual brownie, and the candy canes and Dove Chocolate Gifts are both delicious and festive additions!
One thing my friends and I struggle with each year is finding the best way to package our treats for gift giving. The Ziploc Holiday Containers are the perfect solution, they’re festive yet practical! I often place layers of parchment paper between these brownies when I store them so that they don’t stick to each other and look perfectly delicious! I also like to use Ziploc Holiday Bags to store cookies.
Ready to get baking? You can grab some coupons on Target’s Cartwheel app to save on these products! In addition, leave me a comment and let me know what’s on your holiday baking list this year, I’d love to get more ideas for my baking party!
- For the brownies:
- 1 18.4 ounce box of Pillsbury Family Size Chocolate Fudge Brownies
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon pure peppermint oil or extract
- cooking spray
- For the frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes
- 16 Dove Chocolate Gifts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9x9 inch square pan with cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on both sides.
- Place the brownie mix in a large bowl. Add the oil, water, eggs and peppermint extract, Stir 50 strokes with a spoon.
- Spread the brownie mix into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely in the pan.
- To make the frosting, place the butter and cream cheese in a bowl; beat with a mixer for 3 minutes or until thoroughly combined. Add the sugar, vanilla, salt and milk and beat for an additional 3-5 minutes on high until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Cut the brownies into 16 squares.
- Place the frosting in a piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe a dollop of frosting on each brownie. Sprinkle the candy canes over the top of the brownies and top each brownie with a Dove Gifts Milk Chocolate.
- Serve immediately or store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.