This Christmas crack is saltine toffee made with crackers, brown sugar, butter, chocolate and holiday sprinkles. A sweet and salty treat that’s addictively delicious and perfect for feeding a crowd!
So right about now you may be wondering, what exactly is Christmas crack? It’s saltine toffee, and I think the name relates to the fact that it’s made with crackers and is also super addicting. This salty sweet combo is SUPER easy to make, and it’s a unique treat that will have all of your guests begging for the recipe.
How do you make Christmas crack?
The first step is to line up your crackers on a sheet pan. I use saltine crackers, but I’ve seen Christmas crack made with Ritz or graham crackers before too. The crackers get coated in a toffee mixture, then baked until bubbly. The final step is a layer of melted chocolate and holiday sprinkles.
Tips for Christmas Crack
- You can use semisweet, milk or white chocolate chips for the topping.
- I like to top my Christmas crack with sprinkles, but other great options are chopped nuts or M&M’s.
- Christmas crack can be made up to 3 days before you plan to serve it. Store it in the fridge, then break it into pieces and enjoy.
This recipe is simple to make, but you do need to watch the toffee mixture carefully as it boils. You want to boil it for exactly 3 minutes or you run the risk of it burning. I use an offset spatula to spread the toffee and chocolate layers; it makes the job so much easier.
I use high quality chocolate chips for the best results. My favorite brand is Guittard because it has a rich flavor and melts smoothly.
The final step is to let the toffee chill to firm up, then cut into pieces and serve! This tastes a lot like traditional toffee, but it’s way easier to make and the crackers add a hint of salt that really counterbalances the sugar. I make this saltine toffee every year, and people ALWAYS ask me for the recipe, so be prepared to share it with your friends and family!
This recipe can easily be doubled if you need to feed a crowd. Simply double the ingredients and spread the crackers over two sheet pans instead of one. You may want to plan to make a double batch because this stuff goes fast!
More holiday treats
Christmas Crack Video
Christmas Crack Recipe
- 40 saltine crackers
- 2 sticks of butter (1 cup)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips I recommend Guittard or Ghirardelli. Nestle (Toll House) chocolate chips do not work in this recipe.
- 1/2 cup holiday sprinkles or 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- cooking spray
- Line a sheet pan with foil and coat with cooking spray or alternatively you can use a nonstick silicone baking mat.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the crackers in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Place the butter and brown sugar in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes.
- Pour the brown sugar mixture over the crackers and spread with a spatula to coat.
- Place the sheet pan in the oven and bake for 3-5 minutes, or until bubbling.
- Remove the pan from the oven and immediately scatter the chocolate chips over the top. Place the pan back in the oven for another 2-3 minutes to melt the chocolate. Spread the chocolate evenly over the top.
- Place the sprinkles on top of the chocolate. Let the toffee sit until completely cool, either at room temperature or you can refrigerate.
- Cut into pieces and serve.