This recipe for Mexican fruit salad is a blend of tropical fruit topped with chili lime seasoning – a sweet and savory delight that everyone will want seconds of!
Yes, I’m a little obsessed with Mexican style fruit this summer. This Mexican fruit salad is a fun and refreshing take on fruit salad for those days when you’re looking for something a little different and unexpected. Serving it in a pineapple is optional, but it just adds to the fun and turns it into a dish that’s perfect for a potluck or BBQ!
This recipe starts with fruit, and a lot of it! I used a combination of watermelon, papaya, mango and pineapple here, but you can mix it up to add in your favorites. Other great additions would be cantaloupe or honeydew melon, kiwi might be nice too! I made little balls out of the watermelon to look fancy, but you can absolutely just cut it with a knife into cubes if you don’t own a melon baller. The fruit gets piled into a hollowed out pineapple half and topped with a squeeze of lime juice and some chili lime seasoning. If you’re not into chili lime seasoning, you can leave it off, but I HIGHLY recommend it, it’s what really makes this dish special!
This Mexican fruit salad has been a favorite around my house – even the kids like it with the chili lime seasoning! I’m going to be so sad when all of this amazing fruit goes out of season, I’ll probably even spend $7 on a sad looking watermelon in the middle of December to get my Mexican fruit salad fix. But for now, I’m enjoying it while I still can, and you should too!
Mexican Fruit Salad
- 1 inch pineapple halved, hollowed and fruit cut into 1 chunks (use 1 cup of pineapple chunks for this recipe and reserve the rest for another use)
- 1 cup of watermelon balls or 1 inch chunks
- 1 cup of 1 inch mango chunks
- 1 cup of 1 inch papaya chunks
- Juice of 1 lime
- Chili lime seasoning to taste
- Optional garnishes: mint sprigs lime wedges
- Place all of the fruit into a large bowl. Add lime juice and gently toss to coat.
- Place the hollowed out pineapple on a large plate and fill with fruit. Scatter any remaining fruit around the pineapple shell.
- Sprinkle with chili lime seasoning to taste and garnish with mint and lime wedges if desired.