This Mexican pizza recipe is layers of taco meat and beans sandwiched between two crispy shells and topped with plenty of melted cheese and toppings. SO much better than Taco Bell!
Are you a Taco Bell fan? I can’t say that I am, but husband is. When he gets Taco Bell, he always orders the Mexican pizza, and I decided it was time to learn to make them at home. I’m happy to say that my homemade Mexican pizzas are absolutely delicious, and you don’t even have to be a Taco Bell fan to enjoy them! In fact, even if you are a Taco Bell lover, you’ll prefer the homemade version.
How do you make Mexican pizza?
This recipe starts with tostada shells. You can find tostada shells in the Mexican food aisle of your grocery store right next to the taco shells. The tostadas are layered with seasoned ground beef and refried beans, then topped with enchilada sauce and cheese and baked to perfection.
The taco meat is simply lean ground beef (I use 90% lean) flavored with taco seasoning. I like to add a variety of toppings to my Mexican pizza, like chopped tomatoes, green onions and sliced olives. Other great additions would be diced avocado, chopped cilantro, or even a drizzle of sour cream. I love how customizable this recipe is, perfect for all of the picky eaters in your life!
After you’ve added all your toppings, cut the pizzas into four wedges and serve. The shells do soften over time under the toppings, so these pizzas are best served immediately after they come out of the oven.
This is a great way to do something a little different for taco night, my kids always get so excited when it’s time for Mexican pizza!
More great Mexican food recipes
Mexican Pizza Video
- 8 tostada shells
- 3/4 lb ground beef I use 90% lean
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1/4 cup red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese I use a blend of cheddar and monterey jack
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the ground beef to the pan, season with taco seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is cooked through, 4-5 minutes.
- While the beef is cooking, warm the refried beans.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Place 4 tostada shells on a sheet pan. Spread 1/4 cup of refried beans over each tostada, then top each one with 1/3 cup meat.
- Place a second tostada on top of the meat.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of enchilada sauce on top of the Mexican pizzas, then top each one with 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with tomatoes, green onions and olives, then serve immediately.