This Mexican pizza recipe is layers of taco meat and beans sandwiched between two crispy shells and topped with plenty of melted cheese and toppings. SO much better than Taco Bell!
Are you a Taco Bell fan? I can’t say that I am, but husband is. When he gets Taco Bell, he always orders the Mexican pizza, and I decided it was time to learn to make them at home. I’m happy to say that my homemade Mexican pizzas are absolutely delicious, and you don’t even have to be a Taco Bell fan to enjoy them! In fact, even if you are a Taco Bell lover, you’ll prefer the homemade version.
How do you make Mexican pizza?
The first step is to brown ground beef, then flavor it with taco seasoning. Spread a layer of refried beans over a tostada shell, then add a scoop of meat on top. Place a second tostada shell on top of the meat layer, then add a topping of enchilada sauce and shredded cheese. Place the pizzas in the broiler until the tostadas are crispy and cheese is melted. Add diced tomatoes, green onions and sliced olives on top of the pizzas, then serve and enjoy.
Tips for the perfect pizza
- After you’ve added all your toppings, cut the pizzas into four wedges and serve. The shells do soften over time under the toppings, so these pizzas are best served immediately after they come out of the oven.
- Use an offset spatula to evenly spread the beans on top of the tostada shells.
- I use 90% lean ground beef as it has plenty of flavor without a lot of grease. If you use a meat with a higher fat content, be sure to drain off any excess grease after it’s cooked.
- I recommend grating your own cheese for this recipe, as many store bought bags of shredded cheese contain anti caking agents and don’t melt as well.
Mexican pizza variations
This version of Mexican pizza is similar to what they serve at Taco Bell, but you can always switch up the ingredients to customize the dish to your tastes.
- Meat: Instead of ground beef, try ground turkey, shredded chicken or diced steak.
- Fillings: You can add other fillings such as corn, diced green chiles, or sauteed bell peppers.
- Toppings: Feel free to add an assortment of toppings such as cilantro, sour cream, avocado, sliced jalapenos or salsa verde.
This is a great way to do something a little different for taco night, my kids always get so excited when it’s time for Mexican pizza!
More great Mexican food recipes
Mexican Pizza Video
- 8 tostada shells
- 3/4 lb ground beef I use 90% lean
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1/4 cup red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese I use a blend of cheddar and monterey jack
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the ground beef to the pan, season with taco seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is cooked through, 4-5 minutes.
- While the beef is cooking, warm the refried beans.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Place 4 tostada shells on a sheet pan. Spread 1/4 cup of refried beans over each tostada, then top each one with 1/3 cup meat.
- Place a second tostada on top of the meat.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of enchilada sauce on top of the Mexican pizzas, then top each one with 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with tomatoes, green onions and olives, then serve immediately.
This post was originally published on June 25, 2017 and was updated on February 7, 2020 with new content.