This salsa chicken is chicken breasts coated in taco seasoning, salsa and cheese, then baked to perfection. A quick and easy meal that the whole family is sure to love.
When I’m looking for dinner in a hurry, I often turned to baked chicken dishes. My kids adore lemon chicken and this super easy salsa chicken. You can serve this chicken over rice, or cut it up and wrap it in tortillas for burritos or fajitas.
Sometimes I just need to get dinner on the table without a lot of fanfare, and this salsa chicken is the perfect solution. It literally takes 5 minutes to put together and everyone in my house likes Mexican food so this meal is always a big hit.
How do you make salsa chicken?
The first step is to grab some chicken breasts and place them in a baking pan with some salsa. The chicken breasts get sprinkled with taco seasoning, then topped with more salsa and baked. The finishing touch is some cheese, a dollop of sour cream and green onions.
Tips for salsa chicken
- You can make this recipe with boneless skinless chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs. Try to choose chicken pieces that are about the same size and thickness so that they cook evenly.
- You can use any type of salsa you like. I typically use a mild red salsa. Other great options are green salsa, chipotle salsa, or even enchilada sauce.
- I typically top my salsa chicken with sour cream and green onions, but sometimes I add other toppings such as diced tomatoes, olives, tortillas strips or avocado.
- You can make this recipe a complete meal by adding some black beans and corn to the pan along with the salsa.
What temperature do you bake chicken?
I bake my chicken breasts at 375 degrees F. The chicken typically takes around 30 minutes to cook. If you’re not sure if your chicken is done, you can cut into it to make sure it’s not pink, or use a thermometer. A thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken should read 165 degrees F when the chicken is done.
You can serve this salsa chicken as is, or sometimes I cut the cooked chicken into strips and serve up a side of warm tortillas, rice, and beans for people to make tacos with. Regardless of how you serve it, it’s a healthy and easy dinner you can feel good about feeding to your family!
More chicken dinners
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons green onions sliced
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread 1/2 cup of salsa in an even layer in the bottom of the dish. Place the chicken breasts on top.
- Sprinkle the taco seasoning evenly over the chicken.
- Pour the remaining salsa over the chicken.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the dish from the oven. Sprinkle the cheese over the chicken.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for an additional 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top each chicken breast with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkling of green onions, then serve.