This honey mustard chicken is seared chicken breasts that are coated in a honey, mustard and butter mixture, then baked to perfection. A simple yet delicious dinner option!
Baked honey mustard chicken is packed full of flavor, and uses a handful of ingredients that you likely already have in the house. This is one of my go-to chicken dinners!
Baked chicken is such an easy yet satisfying way to do dinner, and this honey mustard chicken is no exception. Boneless skinless chicken breasts are smothered in a homemade honey mustard sauce and baked to juicy perfection in this amazingly delicious dish.
How do you make honey mustard chicken?
This recipe starts with a 5 minute homemade honey mustard sauce, made with two types of mustard, honey and butter. Simply stir everything together, pour over the chicken, then bake!
I like to sear my chicken breasts to give them a golden brown crust before I cover them with sauce. That’s an optional step, but I feel like it’s worth the extra few minutes and adds so much flavor.
After the chicken is covered in sauce, it goes into the oven to bake. The chicken starts out covered, then is uncovered during the last portion of the bake time.
After the chicken has cooked through, add a sprinkling of parsley, then serve. If you don’t have parsley on hand, other great options are green onions, chives, dill or thyme.
How long does it take to bake chicken?
It takes 25-35 minutes to bake chicken, depending on the size and thickness of your chicken breasts. If you sear your chicken before placing it in the baking dish, it will need less time in the oven since the chicken is partially cooked at that point.
How do you know when your baked chicken is ready?
If you’re not sure if your chicken breasts are fully cooked, use a meat thermometer to check the temperature. The safe internal temperature for cooked chicken breasts is 165 degrees F, so be sure that your thermometer registers at least that high.
More chicken dinner ideas
- Pineapple Chicken
- Lemon Pepper Chicken
- Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Grilled Chicken Tenders
- Chicken Souvlaki
Honey Mustard Chicken
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grainy mustard
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium high heat. Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken in the pan and sear on both sides until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the grainy mustard, Dijon mustard, honey and butter.
- Coat a rectangular baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread half of the sauce into the bottom of the dish.
- Arrange the chicken breasts on top of the sauce, then drizzle the remaining sauce over the top of the chicken.
- Cover with foil, then bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with parsley, then serve.
- You can skip the browning step if you prefer, and simply add the seasoned uncooked chicken breasts directly to the baking dish. You will likely need to add an additional 5-10 minutes to the bake time.