This Monterey chicken is a Chili’s copycat that features seasoned chicken breasts smothered in barbecue sauce, cheese, bacon and tomatoes. An easy dinner option that the whole family will love!
When I need a meal the whole family will love, I turn to chicken classics like chicken adobo, cider glazed chicken, maple dijon chicken and Monterey chicken. Monterey chicken is loaded with flavor and tastes like it came straight from a restaurant, but you can make it at home in less than 30 minutes.
I used to go to Chili’s all the time in college, but now there are no Chili’s restaurants left where I live! I satisfy my Chili’s cravings with this easy Monterey chicken that’s fully loaded with all the toppings. It’s a great way to jazz up plain old chicken breasts!
How to make Monterey chicken
This recipe starts with chicken breasts, which are seasoned then seared to golden brown perfection. The cook time will vary depending on the thickness of your chicken; I often use thin cut chicken breasts when I’m looking for a fast meal. The chicken is coated with your favorite barbecue sauce, then loaded with toppings.
For the toppings, I use shredded Monterey Jack and cheddar cheeses, and melt them in the oven until gooey and delicious. You can really use whatever type of cheese you like here, mozzarella would also be a nice choice.
After that comes the bacon, tomatoes and green onions which really take this Monterey chicken over the top flavor wise!
I love this dish because it’s not any harder to make than a standard sauteed chicken, but it tastes like something special. I like to serve my Monterey chicken over mashed potatoes or rice with a green veggie on the side to complete the meal.
The next time you’re thinking about eating at Chili’s, stay home instead and make your own Monterey chicken to save a little cash! Your family will thank you, mine did at least!
More chicken dinner ideas
- Honey Garlic Chicken Stir Fry
- Sun Dried Tomato Chicken
- Baked Lemon Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala
- Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese I used a blend of Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup green onions
- Heat the olive oil in a large oven safe pan over medium high heat. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until done. Cook time may vary depending on the thickness of your chicken.
- Pour the barbecue sauce over the chicken. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese over each chicken breast.
- Place the pan in the oven for 3-5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle the bacon, tomatoes and green onions over the chicken and serve.