This recipe for cornflake chicken tenders is strips of chicken marinated in seasoned buttermilk then rolled in cornflake crumbs and baked to crispy perfection. My kids go crazy for them!
When I was growing up, one of my favorite meals that my mom used to make was cornflake chicken. She’d take whole pieces of chicken and coat them in cornflakes, then bake the chicken. These cornflake chicken tenders are an updated version of that recipe that my mom used to make, and it’s probably no surprise that my kids love them too!
This recipe starts with strips of chicken breast that are tossed into a simple buttermilk marinade. The buttermilk helps to tenderize the meat and also allows the cornflake crumbs to stick to the meat – no complicated breading process here! It’s really that simple – the buttermilk coated chicken gets rolled in seasoned cornflake crumbs and baked to crispy perfection. I serve these cornflake chicken tenders with a variety of dipping sauces to up the fun factor – honey mustard, ketchup or homemade ranch are our favorites.
I must admit – my husband and I love these cornflake chicken tenders as much as the kids do! I also love that they’re baked instead of fried, any time I can lighten up a recipe is a bonus in my book. Sometimes I make a large batch of the seasoned cornflake mixture so that I can save some for another night, it makes this recipe even easier when you’re scrambling to put dinner on the table!
I hope your family loves these cornflake chicken tenders as much as we do!
Cornflake Chicken Tenders
- 1 1/4 pounds chicken tenders or boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into strips
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 4 cups of cornflakes
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- cooking spray
- Pour the buttermilk in a bowl; season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken to the buttermilk and stir to coat. Marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil and coat with cooking spray.
- In a food processor pulse together the cornflakes, smoked paprika, onion powder, sugar, salt and pepper until coarse crumbs form.
- Pour the cornflake mixture onto a plate.
- Remove each piece of chicken from the buttermilk and roll in the crumbs to coat evenly. Place on the baking sheet in a single layer. Coat the tops of the chicken tenders with cooking spray.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.