This chicken santa fe recipe is Mexican seasoned chicken breasts smothered in melted cheese, black beans, corn and peppers. An easy dinner option that’s great for a busy weeknight!
Bored of the same old chicken dinners? Spice things up with this fresh and zesty Santa Fe chicken. Serve it with rice and beans for a quick meal that’s sure to keep the family happy and satisfied.
We have chicken for dinner A LOT around here. It’s definitely our preferred protein. Sometimes I just get tired of our standard chicken recipes and want something new and different, which is how this chicken Santa Fe came to be. This dish is loaded with flavor, yet still simple to put together for dinner time.
How to make chicken santa fe
This dish starts with boneless skinless chicken breasts. I typically buy the thin cut chicken breasts because they cook so much quicker than standard sized breasts. The chicken is covered in taco seasoning then seared to perfection.
While Mexican flavored chicken is great on its own, this Santa Fe chicken recipe takes things over the top with a sprinkling of shredded cheese, along with black beans, corn and peppers.
The final step is a quick trip through the oven to melt the cheese. Add a sprinkle of cilantro and dinner is served!
I typically use frozen corn for this dish, which I thaw in the microwave before adding it to the chicken. I also add the diced red bell pepper raw as it will cook in the oven as the cheese melts. Sometimes I swap out the black beans for pinto beans, or use poblano pepper instead of bell pepper for a little different flavor. You can also try different types of cheese, pepper jack would be great in this chicken!
I love to serve this chicken Santa Fe with a side of my favorite pinto beans and rice. I also sometimes put out additional toppings like diced avocado, sour cream and tortilla strips for everyone to customize their chicken the way they like it.
The next time you’re searching for an easy chicken dish, give this Santa Fe chicken a try. Your family will thank you!
More easy chicken recipes
- Baked Fried Chicken
- Baked Lemon Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala
- Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Sun Dried Tomato Chicken
Chicken Santa Fe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts I prefer to use thin cut breasts
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup corn kernels thawed if frozen
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large oven safe pan over medium high heat. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Season the chicken on both sides with the taco seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Cook the chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side or until cooked through. The time may vary depending on the thickness of your chicken.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the chicken breasts. Add the beans, red bell pepper and corn on top of the cheese.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.