This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
In this one dish grilled chicken dinner the lemon herb chicken, potatoes and vegetables all cook on the grill, super easy and only a single dish to clean at the end!
It took me a long time to figure out what to call this recipe. I wanted to call it a one pot meal because everyone understands that terminology. But that’s not actually true – this recipe doesn’t use any pots, everything cooks together on the grill. So I settled on one dish grilled chicken dinner because you will have one serving dish to wash, but that’s all, just one item to clean! I thought about calling it a no pot meal but I figured that would be confusing. Anyways, I’ve got lemon herb grilled chicken, potatoes and vegetables and as advertised, the mess is minimal but it’s plenty flavorful and healthy too!
The first component that needs to be prepared for this meal is the potatoes, because they take the longest to cook. The potatoes cook on the grill inside a foil pouch. About halfway through the cook time on the potatoes you’ll add the chicken. The veggies come on at the end as the chicken is almost finished.
The chicken is marinated in my favorite lemon-herb marinade prior to grilling. I used multi-colored potatoes here (primarily for the color effect!). You can use your favorite variety of potatoes but make sure they’re on the small side so that they’ll cook all the way through on the grill. For the vegetables I used asparagus and mini bell peppers, but those can easily be swapped out if you prefer – other great options would be zucchini, corn or eggplant.
Everyone loved this meal – it was simple for the kids but flavorful enough that the adults really enjoyed it too. And of course it’s always nice to be able to make the whole thing on the grill and not heat up the kitchen or have a million dishes to wash at the end of the night.
One Dish Grilled Chicken Dinner
- For the chicken:
- 4 thin boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried italian herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- cooking spray
- 1 1/2 pounds baby potatoes cut into 3/4 inch thick slices
- 1 pound asparagus woody ends trimmed off
- 1/2 pound mini bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- salt and pepper
- lemon wedges
- 1/4 cup fresh chives thinly sliced
- For the chicken:
- Mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, sugar, garlic, italian herb seasoning, salt and pepper in a large resealable bag. Add the chicken and marinate for at least 1 hour, up to 8 hours.
- Heat grill to medium. Fold a 4-foot-long sheet of aluminum foil in half. Coat the foil with cooking spray. Place the potatoes on the double layer of foil. Form a packet, folding foil over potatoes and crimping edges to seal. Place on grill and cook, turning over once, until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Remove warm potatoes from foil; transfer to a large platter, toss with butter, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- About 10 minutes into the cooking time of the potatoes, remove the chicken from the marinade and place it on the grill. Cook for 5-7 minutes per side or until done. Remove from grill.
- While the chicken is cooking, brush the asparagus and peppers with 2 teaspoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the vegetables on the grill and cook for 2-4 minutes per side, or until tender. Remove from grill.
- Place the chicken and vegetables on the same platter as the potatoes. Sprinkle chives over the top. Serve with lemon wedges on the side.