These roasted red potatoes are coated in garlic, herbs and parmesan cheese, then oven baked to golden brown perfection. An easy and elegant side dish that takes just minutes to put together!
I’m always looking for easy side dishes to accompany our meals. Some of my favorites include baked french fries, roasted green beans and these crispy and flavorful potatoes.
I always have a bag of potatoes in the house – they’re nutritious, inexpensive and last a long time. These roasted red potatoes are packed with tons of flavor and always get rave reviews from family and friends.
Are red potatoes good for roasting?
Red potatoes are great when roasted in the oven. This type of potato holds it shape well and has a neutral flavor which pairs well with the seasonings in this dish. There are different sizes and shapes of this type of potato. I prefer to use the small baby potatoes, but you can use full sized potatoes cut into 1 inch pieces if you like.
How do you make roasted red potatoes?
Cut your potatoes in half, then toss them in a mixture of olive oil, dried herbs, garlic, parmesan cheese and seasonings. Place the potatoes in a single layer on a sheet pan. Roast the potatoes until they’re golden brown and tender, which takes about 35-40 minutes. Sprinkle the cooked potatoes with fresh parsley, then serve and enjoy.
Tips for the perfect side dish
- Make sure that your potatoes are in one layer; if they’re in a pile on the pan, they will steam rather than roast.
- I find that this dish is best served immediately, as the potatoes will soften over time as they cool. Any leftovers will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can reheat your potatoes on the stove top or in the oven until crispy.
- If you can, use freshly grated parmesan cheese, it makes a big difference in the final outcome.
- You can use other seasonings to mix things up a bit such as Cajun spice, a little cayenne pepper for heat, smoked paprika or even chili powder.
- This recipe calls for dried Italian seasoning which is a blend of herbs that includes basil, oregano, rosemary and parsley. You can find this seasoning in the spice aisle of most grocery stores.
This dish is fabulous as-is, but you can add other flavorings to customize it to your tastes.
- Potatoes: No red potatoes on hand? Try Yukon Gold or fingerling potatoes instead.
- Herbs: Instead of parsley, you can use fresh chopped dill, chives or basil.
- Cheese: Like your potatoes extra cheesy? Add a handful of shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese during the last 5 minutes of the baking time.
- Veggies: You can add some vegetables to the roasting pan such as carrots, parsnips, red onions or brussels sprouts.
- Flavorings: Sprinkle on some extra flavor to your cooked potatoes by adding cooked crumbled bacon, olives or sun dried tomatoes.
- Protein: Turn this into a main course by adding sliced cooked sausage to the pan such as chicken apple sausage or kielbasa.
Roasted red potatoes pair perfectly with a variety of main course options including chicken, beef and seafood. You’ll find yourself making these potatoes on a regular basis, they’re just that good!
More easy side dishes
- Roasted Root Vegetables
- Sauteed Brussels Sprouts
- Honey Roasted Carrots
- Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese
- Loaded Corn Casserole
Roasted Red Potatoes Video
Roasted Red Potatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds baby red potatoes halved
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil and coat the foil with cooking spray.
- Place the potatoes in a large bowl. Add the olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and parmesan cheese. Toss to coat.
- Spread the potatoes in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and fork tender. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
I discovered this recipe asking Google to tell me how to roast red potatoes. It was the biggest hit or my family. I have made it dozens of times since. We now just call it “Five Star Potatoes” as it’s my go-to. Thanks so much!
I added chili powder and fresh lemon juice and it was exquisite!
I make this with smoked sausage and add onion chunks
How many cloves of garlic in a teaspoon? 🙂
Only change I made was to make darn sure I had enough garlic, so I added more than what I thought I needed to (I like garlic).
Cloves of garlic vary so much in size which is why I use the teaspoon measurement! Typically it’s about 2 medium size cloves.
Excellent, wouldn’t change a thing. Have made several times.
So so good! The fresh parm and garlic make a huge difference!
Very easy and delicious! Will be making these again!
Easy and delicious 😋. Made ahead of time and put in the refrigerator then put on cooking sheet to bake.
Absolutely the best tasting roasted red potatoes I’ve ever eaten! And so easy!
I so agree. Will be making these often!
Very tasty and easy to make!