These glazed carrots are tender carrot coins simmered in a mixture of brown sugar and butter and topped with a sprinkling of parsley. An easy and inexpensive side dish that’s perfect for a holiday meal or an everyday dinner.
I always keep a bag of carrots in my fridge. They’re inexpensive, stay fresh for weeks, and you can do so many things with them! One of my favorite ways to prepare carrots is this easy glazed carrots recipe. All you need is 5 ingredients and about 15 minutes and they’re ready to be served.
How do you make glazed carrots?
The first step is to peel and cut your carrots. I typically cut my carrots into slices, but if you’d rather cut them into sticks that’s fine too. You can also use a bag of peeled and cut baby carrots. The carrots simmer in water until tender, then brown sugar, butter and salt go into the pan. Add a bit of parsley if you like, then serve.
Tips for glazed carrots
- Make sure your carrots are cut into uniformly sized pieces so that they cook at the same rate.
- You can substitute honey or maple syrup for the brown sugar.
- I like to add a sprinkling of parsley on top for color, but that’s an optional step.
- You can cut and peel your carrots up to 3 days before you plan to make this recipe.
- Want a hands off approach to glazed carrots? Try my slow cooker glazed carrots.
What are the health benefits of carrots?
Carrots are a super healthy vegetable. Carrots are loaded with fiber, Vitamin K, beta-carotene, and antioxidants. Carrots are also thought to improve your vision, prevent certain types of cancer, slow down the aging process and they also help prevent infection.
These glazed carrots are always on our Thanksgiving table because they’re just so easy to make and it’s one of the few veggie dishes that my kids will happily devour. You could even dress this recipe up for the holidays by using some rainbow colored carrots in shades of purple, yellow, red and white. Rainbow carrots are becoming more and more popular and are now more readily available at most grocery stores.
Whether you choose to serve glazed carrots for a special holiday dinner or serve them alongside a simple roasted chicken on a busy weeknight, this dish is sure to be welcomed by all.
More side dish ideas
- Maple Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Stovetop Mac and Cheese
- Broccoli with Cheese Sauce
- Parmesan Zucchini
- Garlic Butter Mushrooms
- 1 1/2 lbs carrots peeled and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley optional
- Place the carrots in a large pan and add 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring the carrots to a simmer
- Cook for 8-10 minutes or until carrots are tender. Drain off any excess water.
- Add the butter, brown sugar and salt to the pan. Stir to coat the carrots.
- Cook for an additional 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until a sauce has formed.
- Sprinkle with parsley if desired, then serve.