This parmesan zucchini is crusted in crispy breadcrumbs and cheese, then baked to golden brown perfection. An easy side dish or appetizer option!
Love fried zucchini sticks? This baked version has less calories but still has tons of flavor.
When I see fried zucchini on a restaurant menu, I absolutely cannot resist. Give me a side of ranch or marinara and I’m in appetizer heaven. This parmesan zucchini is made in the oven instead of the fryer, but still has that same crispy, savory flavor of the deep fried favorite.
How to make parmesan zucchini
For this recipe, you’ll need zucchini, breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, olive oil and Italian seasoning. You can find Italian seasoning in the herbs and spices aisle, it’s typically a blend of garlic powder, oregano, basil and salt. Alternatively, you can use Italian seasoned breadcrumbs.
The zucchini is cut into spears and coated in olive oil, parmesan and the breadcrumbs. Be sure to also add some salt and pepper!
These parmesan zucchini sticks go onto a sheet pan and then into a hot oven for a quick bake. You do NOT want to overbake your zucchini or it will get mushy and be hard to pick up.
What are the benefits of eating zucchini?
Zucchini is full of nutrients like antioxidants, Vitamin C, potassium and Vitamin B. It’s low in calories and carbs and is even thought to aid in digestion. I also love that it’s readily available year round and is inexpensive.
After your zucchini comes out of the oven, serve it immediately, either as a side dish or an appetizer. I like to serve a side of marinara for dipping, but that’s optional.
My kids devour this parmesan zucchini, it’s a really great way to get the family to eat their veggies! No one can resist that crispy crust.
More great ways to eat your veggies
- Bacon Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Garlic Butter Mushrooms
- Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Slow Cooker Glazed Carrots
- Green Bean Bundles
- 1 lb zucchini quartered and cut into sticks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Coat a sheet pan with cooking spray.
- Place the zucchini in a bowl. Add the olive oil and toss to coat.
- Add the breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and parmesan cheese and toss until zucchini is coated.
- Arrange the zucchini spears in a single layer on the sheet pan.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until browned and zucchini is tender. Serve immediately with marinara sauce if desired.
- Italian seasoned breadcrumbs may be substituted instead of using the combination of plan breadcrumbs with dried Italian seasoning.